FRIDAY FICTION with RONOVAN WRITES Prompt Challenge #22-A sad friend

Friday night, time for your Lara fix! Check out Lovely Ron’s prompt here.

• Word Count is off! Let’s focus on the theme of the thing. Not many actually stick to the word count anyway. (SUGGESTED-No more than 500 if you want to try that.)
  • Using the prompt of ‘A sad friend, WRITE. Sad can mean different things depending on how you say it and the culture you are in. Someone may be depressed or someone might even be pathetic. Perhaps there are other meanings as well. Whatever meaning you give it, go with it and prosper!

Friday Fiction with Ronovan Writes Challenge

Please, let me know what you think! All comments appreciated!

Just Friends – Part 12
“It’s a sad, sad situation, when sorry seems to be the hardest wurrrrrrd!”
Lara put her pillow over her ears and tried to drown out the sound of the cat being strangled outside her bedroom door.  Or the sound of Mel, actually.
This was the sound of a friend, supposed friend, trying to grovel. Singing a catalogue of apologetic songs since 6am this morning, including Brenda Lee’s ‘I’m Sorry’, and Justin Bieber’s ‘Sorry’, she was reaching a crescendo with Elton John’s song, murdering each line of what were great songs.
Mel and Lara had got back from the ill-fated yoga class last night, and Lara was fuming and embarrassed. It was bad enough having to be at that blasted class, dressed up in the most inappropriate clothes, and to have had her University crush, Christian/Krishna, and Neil be there to witness her discomfort. For Mel to do her human domino trick. Well that was the cherry on top, and that fart! The dusting of icing sugar needed to really finish the whole shebang off!
Mel obviously had no intention of stopping this ‘playlist’ of sorry songs, so Lara was resigned to the fact that she needed to go out and speak to that sad excuse for a friend, currently crooning outside her door.
Opening the door, she was greeted by a hugely apologetic Mel, actually down on her knees, wearing the dreaded Orange Juice tee shirt, and a pair of yoga pants on her head, holding a wooden spoon which was serving the purpose of a microphone.
What could she do? Lara took one look at the lunatic of a flatmate that she lived with, and burst out laughing.
“For crying out loud Mel, what do you look like?! You are such a plonker!”
“I’m sowwy!” Mel put on her cute voice, “I didn’t mean to be such an embarrassment last night! You know me, I can barely balance with two feet on the ground… What was I gonna be like with only one?! And as for the end…. Oh my God! Remind me never to eat beans for lunch if we are going anywhere in public that day, you know what they do to me!”
Lara smiled at her.  “I know you didn’t mean anything Mel, but how embarrassing! I still can’t believe that Neil was there with Mya!”
As Mel got up, Lara realised the time. “Already?! I need to get ready for work.”
– – –
Lara was just taking her first sip of coffee when Neil parked himself at his desk, next to her.
“Morning Lar! Oh my God! What was that all about last night?!”
“What part, exactly? It was all a bit of a nightmare! I pinched myself to wake up, but all I did was give myself bruise! How bloody embarrassing!”
It felt good, their friendly banter appeared to be back. Maybe they were going to be better, just as friends.
“And that instructor, he kept on looking at you, eh, nudge nudge, wink wink! Maybe we could set you up!”
Lara’s eyes lit up. “Really? Christian was looking at me?”
“Christian? I thought his name was Krishna… I’m sure that’s what Mya was saying… Even she noticed the looks!”
Oh well, every cloud has a silver lining, as they say… maybe the cloud called Neil would lift, and there was a silver lining called Krishna there in its place!
As Lara settled back to daydream about a certain Yogi, Amit minced up.
“See, I told you!”
“Morning Amit… What did you tell me?” Lara could never keep up with which way Amit’s mind worked, and today, as usual, there wasn’t even a greeting!
“Your yogi baba friend, camp as they come! After you and Mel disappeared, leaving a lingering hum, I had a little chat with Krish, and we popped to that new health café for a Chai Latte, and…”
“What?” Lara looked at him.
“…and we exchanged numbers!”
Huh? This was too confusing for words! Lara looked at Neil, who was equally baffled. “ I thought you said he was looking at me last night, Neil!”
“He was Lar, seriously!”
She saw Amit walking back to his desk, to answer his ringing phone. “Hello? Oh Krish! Hi!” He looked over at Lara and gave an exaggerated wink.
Tuning out, Lara couldn’t believe it. Was there anyone unluckier in love than her? She couldn’t even get to the going out stage with her perfect men, let alone talk about love, without them getting engaged, or turning gay!

Please, let me know what you think!

The audio file…

1. Akanksha Varma
    Apr 29, 2016 @ 19:03:24

I read them all in one sitting and I can’t wait, at all.
    Have some catching up to do, but I’m pretty impressed, actually.

2. reocochran
    Apr 23, 2016 @ 17:16:00

This was wonderful in its depth and interesting ways you worked in music which I love all 3 of the first songs mentioned! (_even “my mamna don’t like you and she likes everyone” Justin Bieber) what a humorous but also pathetic way to end the short story, Ritu. I feel like this, from time to time! 😉

3. athling2001
    Apr 21, 2016 @ 14:41:30

Another great twist.

4. Writings Of A Single Girl
    Apr 17, 2016 @ 22:53:44

I’m liking where it’s going (but then again I like a depressing unlucky gal ha) Starting to really dislike Neil. Nothing worse than the boy you like trying to talk to you about other guys. “I’ll get you set up” Ughhh.

5. Judy Martin
    Apr 16, 2016 @ 19:35:14

I ma enjoying the way this is twisting and turning all over the place. It is great fun to follow 🙂

6. Hugh's Views and News
    Apr 16, 2016 @ 12:49:56

Cracking ending to this chapter. I don’t think anything is ever going to go right for poor Lara…is it? Now even Amit has a new date.

Apr 16, 2016 @ 09:39:41

Really, Sis! This is getting better and better with each take! I was laughing all the way through Mel’s apology scene and then that the confusion about Christian…. but it is not only the way the story goes, it is much, much more how you lead through that story. You build up the suspense and your humorous and ironic writing and the characters are always keeping their clear personality which is awesome too. You are amazing!

8. Rajiv
    Apr 16, 2016 @ 06:21:45

isn’t Ronovan the singer in a boy band?

9. Ronovan
    Apr 16, 2016 @ 00:04:35

Not where I thought it might go, but good job. But then that is what this is about. I give you the serve and you return it where it makes me come up with a better volley. This could be very interesting, depending on how your mind works and how far you are willing to go. 😉

Apr 16, 2016 @ 07:17:57

Well you know me Ron… My mind can work in mysterious ways!!! I have ideas… But it depends what curve ball you throw me!!!! Thanks for the great prompts!!! 😉😊