15 Years Ago – When the World Changed

Where were you 15 years ago?

Image result for 9/11 never forget

I may not be an American, but this day fifteen years ago, I remember all too well.

Fifteen years ago, I was ill.

I recall laying in my bed with the TV on. My Pops, who was still practising as a dentist, came running into my room, and changed the channel to the news, where there were videos being played on replay of a plane hitting one of New York#s Twin Towers.

I looked on in horror as we saw the second one being targeted by  another aircraft.

It wasn’t long before the claims came from Al-Quaida and Bin Laden that they had been responsible for this loathsome act. News was pouring in of the devastation, the death tolls were rising by the minute…

It was two months to our wedding. Hubby Dearest had just started a new job, in Central London, Canary Wharf.

The news then reported that Canary Wharf was on high alert as there had been reports that something was going to happen there.

I phoned him, wanting to know he was okay, that they were all okay.

It was a day that the world as we knew it changed.

A day that fear was born in the hearts and minds of many who had been previously unaware of conflicts and differences.

A day that made many begin to look at their fellow citizens with different eyes.

Suddenly, your friendly brown-skinned neighbour was looked at suspiciously, a woman with her head covered was feared, the calls to prayer that previously were celebrated, as a multicultural community, were quietened for fear of backlashes.

A whole new prejudice was born.

Since then there has been so much, with groups like Al-Quaida, and ISIS causing devastation in many countries, the UK, France, Belgium to name but a few.

Thankfully many people now see beyond religion as as motive. They don’t tar all Muslims with the same brush, understanding that those who follow Islam truly, are abhorrent of these few who are taking Allah’s name in vein.

But there are still plenty who are like a dog with a bone.

Any brown face is to be treated with caution, if they have turbans or headscarves, well then they must be part of these terrorist groups. There is no attempt to educate. Which is why so many innocents have been racially abused, attacked or killed, because someone thinks they are a terrorist.

I don’t need to step far away from my own background, where we have had Sikhs vilified because they wear turbans (because Bin Laden had something wrapped around his head, so that means all people with things on their head must be Muslim. Er no, As a Sikh our turban is a symbol of our religion, Sikhism…). And uneducated ex-army personnel targeting a Gurdwara, killing innocent worshippers because he didn’t know this was a Gurdwara, not a Mosque (not that that would have made the attack right).

It’s a shame that there is one such individual who is hoping to get elected to President in the USA…

God help America, I hope the majority see sense when it comes to elections.

And as for today, may we all remember those who lost their lives 15 years ago, and remember those who have lost their lives in all the subsequent attacks over these fifteen years. Innocents, who had nothing to do with the selfish, ridiculous battles that have raged on. And those heroes who have stepped up in these horrible times, sacrificing their own lives in the process.

May they Rest In Peace.

And may our world regain some semblance of compassion, and sense, and stop these senseless attacks from happening.

1. Trackback: I was livingbetween Erdington and Sutton Coldfield but where were you? | gumpromotions
  2. stevetanham
    Oct 06, 2016 @ 08:20:33

I agree with all of that, Ritu. I was in America when it happened, though in California, not the east coast. It was horrific.

3. Tina Frisco
    Sep 17, 2016 @ 19:32:55

We’re on a precipice like no other ever experienced here in the U.S., Ritu. We have 2 highly controversial candidates for President, and the person who rightfully should have received the Democratic nomination was sidelined by the DNC’s fraudulent tactics. Speculation about the U.S. gov’t covertly planning and executing the 9/11 strikes is, in my opinion, believable. Like you, I pray for compassion and common sense. Hopefully the world see that we’re all one people before it’s too late ❤

4. Trackback: Mention in Dispatches – Unique Designs, War and Peace and Motivation | Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life
  5. Don Royster
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 16:44:03

Thanks for the post. It’s sad that it has to be days like this that unite all people of good will.

6. johncoyote
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 12:11:22

I wish and hope for the same things.
    “And may our world regain some semblance of compassion, and sense, and stop these senseless attacks from happening”

7. Miss Dinie
    Sep 14, 2016 @ 19:46:06

I was in school… Studying for the following years GCSE’S.. Sad.. All I remember thinking that if you were to believe in God,then you simply wouldn’t kill.. I saw scarfless girls,suddenly start wearing hijab.. No more Western clothes.. London has seriously changed with all the cliques and conscious religious identification.

8. amommasview
    Sep 13, 2016 @ 08:38:13

😦

9. tjt072
    Sep 12, 2016 @ 20:20:22

Love your post. First off, it’s hard to believe it has been 15 years already. Time goes way to fast. I was sitting in my living room playing a video game when my father in law came in and told me that a plane hit the tower. I turned on the news and watched. Then the second plane hit. Then the towers went down. I woke my husband and told him. We watched in disbelief on what was going on. Then we heard about the third plane. There are no words that can describe what happened that day.

10. Graeme Cumming
    Sep 12, 2016 @ 19:42:47

A very thoughtful post, Ritu. The optimist in me hopes that we will become a more tolerant society and acts of love, friendship and peace will overcome the sour bitterness that we’ve seen in recent times. Social media helps, but so does talking to our neighbours.

My 12 year old nephew came to stop with me a few weeks ago and we went out for a walk each day. As we did, we’d encounter others and I’d say hello and they’d say hello back. He kept asking me if I knew them, and seemed surprised that I didn’t. It was clearly an alien concept to him that you should speak to strangers.

Sadly, this isn’t just true of youngsters. And we can’t rely on the politicians to come up with solutions – they’ll just f**k it up anyway (my apologies to your children!). We need to connect more with the people around us. These little steps will encourage tolerance and openness. Individually, we create ripples, but the more ripples there are, the wider they’ll spread.

Sep 12, 2016 @ 19:53:10

Well said Graeme! I agree that we need to create the tolerance but showing it ourselves.
      I talk too much so my kids are used to me chatting to all and sundry! I hope I can teach them that so they can carry on my chatterbox legacy at least 😊

11. Claire @ bletheringbylinley
    Sep 12, 2016 @ 06:57:23

I was at film school in Vancouver, woke up early to catch up on some writing and saw the second plane going in – I remember distinctly wondering why there was a movie on at that time.

I think that the fear and paranoia caused by what happened is precisely what they wanted, and it is so frustrating and heartbreaking to see people playing right into their hands. I even feel that the xenophobia that fuelled Brexit is a consequence – Britain has been proudly multi-cultural for centuries, and suddenly we’re talking about “them” and “us.”

Sep 12, 2016 @ 07:24:42

I absolutely agree Claire. With regards to Brexit, I’m proudly a British Asian, born and bred here and for the first time in 40 years, I experienced racism this summer while on a school trip with my nursery students. People are not all bad though. The mins who were with me, all white English, really had a go at the man!
      It’s a sorry state though….

• Claire @ bletheringbylinley
        Sep 12, 2016 @ 07:28:44

I’ve heard so many stories like that and it’s just horrifying to me – in a maybe naive way, I somehow thought we were better than that. I wouldn’t pretend racism didn’t exist in Britain before of course, but this idea of deciding who is and isn’t British feels new – and chilling. I had a massive Facebook meltdown with an old school friend who voted Leave and justified it by saying something about how curry is the UK’s favourite dish – aside from anything else, which part of Europe is curry from, I ask you?!! (and how on earth is it a negative!!) So sorry you had to go through that – but glad that those who were with you did the right thing!

Sep 12, 2016 @ 07:37:22

Thank you Claire. Luckily for me I’m too positive to let these things get me down. I’m a teacher, and thankfully I’ve not had any parents with ‘issues ‘ regarding me teaching them. But we are a truly multicultural school 😊

• Claire @ bletheringbylinley
        Sep 12, 2016 @ 07:43:14

I’m glad to hear that! And that’s one of the most frustrating parts of this, most multi-cultural areas of the UK voted Remain, it’s those who don’t even know who it is they believe they don’t like, that don’t like them! Grrr 😉

Sep 12, 2016 @ 07:45:20

I know… our area had a high Leave vote though…

• Claire @ bletheringbylinley
        Sep 12, 2016 @ 09:51:22

That’s rotten – it’s kind of horrible looking around, wondering who voted Leave and why 😦

Sep 12, 2016 @ 11:47:44

Exactly…some of my older colleagues did…but they had reasons nothing to do with immigration. .

12. Smiling Notes
    Sep 12, 2016 @ 03:34:14

Such a terrible day that no one can ever forget. Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine. I was in the 8th grade and I vividly remember that day. We watched it on live tv with utter disbelief. Everyone in school was also in shock and that was all anyone could talk about.

Sep 11, 2016 @ 19:54:12

I was standing on that visitor platform almost exactly 2 years before. Standing there with my 3 months old son who was born in the States. It was part of my home, part of my history. Seeing the towers falling in real time was such a shock as if they had taken something from me, and as if my own family was killed in the most horrific nightmare.
    We took photos when we were up there. We ordered enlargements of the view from up there over Manhattan for our new house and we received those enlargements on 9/11/2001. The shock was even bigger…. but then again I am so thankful that I have those memories documented.

Sep 11, 2016 @ 20:18:21

Oh wow sis! How mad to get the prints on that very day….
      My friend was on that platform on one of the towers the day before…

• Erika Kind
        Sep 12, 2016 @ 08:47:24

I took them out of the mail box before it all happened and then went to an audition. I heard it in the car, then rushed to my mom’s where also my kids were and watched it all there. When I got home hours later and totally shocked, I saw the enlargements lying on the table…. strange moments and mixed feelings. But in some way it felt like: A memory no one can take away… not even terrorists!
        That is a really, really scary feeling that he was there the day before. But if he was there as a tourist, he (or she, sorry) may have been lucky anyway. I thought about it too… what if… and I remembered that they opened up the visitor center only at 10 am… so more than an hour after the attacks. But of course… it can suffice when you were close by. Shocking anyway!

Sep 12, 2016 @ 11:46:57

Totally shocking sis 😶

• Erika Kind
        Sep 12, 2016 @ 14:16:54

💖💖💖

14. Steve
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 19:54:08

I remember watching it on live tv too. Re-watched the same news report on YouTube today and it still seems unreal.

15. eloquentparadise
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 19:47:20

I agree with every word you wrote. These prejudices have existed and continue to swallow the society in their wake. I really hope Trump doesn’t get elected and cause colossal damage to the innocent non-whites who practice different faiths.

16. Josh Wrenn
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 19:45:43

Here in the USA, I remember watching the second plane hit live. It was awful It was first thing in the morning, and I got up and went to work. It seemed like the whole country was suffering from PTSD following it.
    But the worst part is how we let them win. Our reaction to it was exactly how they had planned. We took away our own freedom for the Patriot Act. We started treating any brown person with disdain. We completely made travel an unnecessary headache for the appearance of security that actually is very ineffective. We live in a police state, where any dissent makes you a suspected terrorist. They have charged people peacefully protesting under domestic terrorism laws and we sit by and claim to be a beacon of freedom for the rest of the world as we are very close to potentially electing a fascist.
    Bin Laden kicked our ass, and his death fixed nothing.
    9/11 was terrible, but what followed and continues is far worse.

17. spardha.k
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 19:31:39

Sep 11, 2016 @ 17:28:12

I remember watching all day and half the night, in shock. The days following, the malls and shopping centers were practically empty. Today these terrorist groups or individuals have no motive other than human destruction. Hoping the world regains some measure of peace, compassion, love and tolerance. This has been the weirdest election here for me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories Sister ❤️

19. http://www.salpa58.wordpress.com
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 17:21:27

I think people all over the world will never forget. I have posted a tribute on my blog about today 15 years ago, I invite you to visit, :o)
    This post is very moving.

20. afternoonofsundries
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 15:54:25

Reblogged this on Afternoon of Sundries and commented:

I was in class, I want to say 10th grade. We did not learn a lot that day. We just watched silently, and listened. I felt very small, very confused and unsure why someone would hurt people they didn’t know. Ah youth.

21. vanbytheriver
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 15:41:59

Well said, Ritu. Thanks. 💕

22. floridaborne
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 15:36:33

When I traveled to Morocco in 2004, I missed my plane and had to take another flight out. I sat next to a Muslim woman from Egypt who made colorful wraps for Egyptian women living in the US. When I landed in Atlanta, she helped me find my way to customs. I was appalled at the way her luggage was picked through and apologized to her for the terrible treatment. That’s when she presented a concept I’ll never forget: She didn’t mind the additional security measures. If it had been people from Europe who had destroyed the twin towers, she would expect that anyone from Europe would have their luggage picked through in the same way. She helped me to my next flight. I will never forget her kindness.

RE: US election for president. There is so much misinformation about the candidates in general, it’s frightening. There is never going to be a “perfect” candidate, but choosing a candidate means having to plow through the rhetoric to find the truth. With the internet, it’s easier to do now, but it takes a lot of time.

If you read the statements or listen to heartfelt interviews with present and former employee’s of Trump, they’ll tell you that he doesn’t care about color or creed. He cares that the job is done right. There is a YouTube video by a woman of color who was given a job and a second chance when she messed up. He appeals to people who are tired of politician who tell you what you want to hear and then do exactly the opposite when they get elected. He is what we call a “Wild Card.”

There are conflicting stories about Clinton, too. One group of doctors says she’s in good health, another group say she’s quite ill. And yet another group state that there needs to be a full examination, with disclosure of the results, to either confirm or deny the existence of any conditions that may disqualify her from running for president.

Sep 11, 2016 @ 15:46:08

I’m not political by any nature… I guess I just read the hype. I just hope whoever is elected will do right by the salad bowl that is America, not just those that they deem to be ‘American’!

It is sad when you see this misinformed elective racism going on, but whole communities have had to get used to it…and they have, but what a shame that they ever had to ‘get used to it’!

23. Trackback: For more than Three thousand people fifteen years ago this world came to an end | Marcus Ampe's Space
  24. Rowena
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 15:13:12

Reblogged this on beyondtheflow and commented:

My husband and I were married 2 days before 9/11 and it was equally hard to believe that we have been married this long or that it has been 15 years since the world changed forever. xx Rowena

25. Rowena
    Sep 11, 2016 @ 15:11:28

My husband and I were married 9/9/01…just two days before the attack and the last hymn almost became prophetic: “Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me”. It was supposed to be about married life…not the world! We were staying at my parents place the night before we flew out early on the morning of 12th September. My brother had sen a plane fly through the WTC. Then we saw the second plane hit. I naively didn’t think of anything sinister straight away.My husband thought someone had attacked the planes navigational systems initially. Ironically, we knew more about what was going on with the collapse of the building watching TV in Sydney than the firies in the building, from what I’ve heard.
    We flew to Auckland on the 12th and I remember TVs being on in all the restaurants and watching ground zero on our honeymoon. I remember going out to see the geysers at Rotorua by day and then seeing similar scenes at ground zero. Probably what I found hardest to comprehend was the lack of casualties, bodies, victims. My parents medical friends were in NY and I thought they’d be able to help but as we know now so many people disappeared without a trace.
    This was the first event in my conscious life time where the world changed in the blink of an eye. There is no turning back.
    I send my love and condolances to all who lost loved ones in this senseless act of terror.
    Love & blessings,