April 12 – Flash Fiction – Howzat!

Charli’s prompt this week:

April 12, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that includes a bat. You can use an association to the winged, cave-dwelling critter, or you can explore the word for other meanings. Bonus points for including a bat cave. Go where the prompt leads.

Howzat!
Parker readied himself, bat in hand, waiting for the bowler to release the ball.
He was a top spinner, and a fast one at that; tricky to handle, but he’d been practicing.
Here it came… Parker lifted his bat and slogged it!
It flew over the heads of the fielders, sailing over the boundary.
“Howat!”
Parker started to celebrate his first ever sixer, when it landed, with a crash, through the window of the newly refurbished club bar, aptly named The Bat Cave.
Celebration turned to commiseration – he’d have to pay for that.
So much for this month’s bonus.

And, as His Geoffleship and some others know, my son is an avid cricketer, with a superb left-hand Chinaman spin bowl so I am told… So this is for him!

Oh, and do I get the Bat Cave bonus points? We live in one too… see… check my welcome mat out!

20180413_170839977441499.jpg

1. Norah
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 12:37:27

Well done, Ritu. Very appropriate the bar would be called the Bat Cave. You get those extra points.

2. Charli Mills
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 01:10:34

Boom! Extra extra points for living in the Bat Cave! Although I enjoyed your use of Bat Cave for the bashed bar window. And I’m digging reading comments to Marley. Fun flash, Ritu!

3. Trackback: For the Bats « Carrot Ranch Literary Community
  4. anuragbakhshi
    Apr 17, 2018 @ 06:00:05

Ha ha ha, reminds me of those magical times when we used to play cricket in our neighborhood park. Hitting the ball outside the park directly was ‘OUT’ so as to avoid incidents like these, but still, we ended up breaking (and paying for) lots of windows, and once, even accidentally hit a young girl on her head with the ball, resulting in her cranky grandmother to shout horrific abuses at us.

5. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist
    Apr 16, 2018 @ 09:31:26

Your flash showed an understanding of cricket that I don’t have but I did recognise Howzat. Poor chap winning and losing at the same time. Enjoyed your explanations of you relationship to bats and also the music.

6. Shallow Reflections
    Apr 15, 2018 @ 21:08:33

Not familiar with cricket but acquainted with balls being batted through windows. Haha! Great flash, Ritu.

7. Gloria
    Apr 15, 2018 @ 19:38:25

Good one Ritu! Top marks for that one!

Apr 15, 2018 @ 18:12:01

Brilliant idea, Ritu. Cricket did not even cross my mind although “old bats” did [evil grin].

9. dornahainds
    Apr 15, 2018 @ 15:44:06

Well, it was still, a Marvelous hit. 😎🥀😎🥀😎🥀

10. susansleggs
    Apr 14, 2018 @ 22:11:49

Great story. I can picture the guys face when he heard the glass shatter.

11. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 21:52:39

Good one sis! Still smiling…

Apr 13, 2018 @ 20:50:25

Haha, too funny! My Bat sister!

13. TanGental
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 17:38:24

excellent; yes, you’re quite right – a left handed wrist spinner is known as a chinaman and googly bowler.. a very rare breed; I can think of very few who’ve made it to the big time. Here’s hoping! Excellent flash… PS I prefer the original by 10CC but hey, whatever floats your boat!

14. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 16:51:15

Fantastic, a full story with only 99 words. Myself i have de-activated the word-counting for mental health protection. 😉
    Have a good weekend ahead. Michael

15. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 16:49:03

Apr 13, 2018 @ 16:48:04

Love it Sis, you scored a double whammy there with your Bat Cave reference as well (love your mat)! 🙂