February 7: Flash Fiction Challenge – Signs

It’s time to get back into Charli’s 99-word flash fiction challenge!

February 7, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that includes a sign. It can be a posted sign, a universal sign, a wonder. Go where the prompt leads.

Here goes.

Why Did I Get Up?

Why Did I Get Up?
Nina dragged herself to sitting position. Why did the alarm have to go off?
She swung her feet out of bed and one landed on a squidgy mess.
Great.
The cat had been eating silly things, and deposited his sick at her bedside.
The shower was no better. Her flatmate had used up all the hot water.
Even her morning coffee was blighted with the fact there was no milk left.
After three hours of sitting on a bus, trying to reach her workplace, Nina gave up.
All signs that she should just have stayed in bed this morning.
 

Ritu Bhathal 2019

47 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. H.R.R. Gorman
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 21:09:08

    The line “the cat was eating silly things” spoke to me. It’s like 75% of pet ownership is monitoring what goes in, and the other 25% is monitoring what comes out.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  2. Trackback: Signs « Carrot Ranch Literary Community
  3. robbiesinspiration
    Feb 13, 2019 @ 03:54:59

    Poor Nina, she should have stayed in bed.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  4. Michele Jones
    Feb 12, 2019 @ 14:07:24

    Poor Nina. She should have stayed in bed.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  5. Charli Mills
    Feb 12, 2019 @ 05:37:42

    The signs are all there — bed was the place to stay. The funniest was the gift from the cat.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  6. D. Avery @shiftnshake
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 23:44:50

    Day’s not over; could get better.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  7. Still Loved...Still Missed
    Feb 10, 2019 @ 09:04:25

    A nice read. Something that all of us have gone through, at some point.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  8. susanzutautas
    Feb 09, 2019 @ 20:30:22

    Definitely, a good day to go back to bed.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  9. explorereikiworld
    Feb 09, 2019 @ 19:49:07

    And yet she dared to climb the bus to work! Bravo !!

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  10. syl65
    Feb 09, 2019 @ 17:06:32

    We all want to just throw the sheets over our heads hug the bed, lol.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  11. pranabaxom
    Feb 09, 2019 @ 16:44:57

    “Why Did I Get Up?” – because nature called😞
    Nice one Ritu.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  12. willowdot21
    Feb 09, 2019 @ 08:59:54

    Not a good start to the day, Sis. She should of stayed in bed!!💜

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  13. OIKOS™-Publishing
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 23:46:34

    Love it! Hope you had not mentioned Sonu. 😉

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  14. tsepotheview
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 23:04:51

    Nice story…

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  15. dray0308
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 22:31:39

    Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  16. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 22:23:12

    Cat puke… da worst!

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  17. Rebecca Moon Ruark
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 22:03:11

    I know days like that. For sure. Tomorrow–Saturday–there will be reasons plenty to get up. Enjoy the weekend, Ritu!

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

  18. Erika Kind
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 21:43:22

    I don’t even need so many signs to be confirmed it was better to simply stay in bed… lol!

    Liked by 2 people

    Reply

  19. johnrieber
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 20:47:05

    Nice job! I will share my attempt tomorrow!

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

My interactive peeps!

Peeps are reading in…

Flag Counter
%d bloggers like this: