#Blogmas2018 Ritu’s Blog Tips #19

Day 19

My muse, my tea my workstation!

Always check your Spam Filters!

Seriously, I cannot reiterate this enough!

Spam cam be the bane of a blogger’s life, if they don’t have a spam filter activated.

But if you aren’t checking your filter, and ‘caught’ comments regularly, you could be missing some real comments; genuine bloggers caught up in Smap jail!

I make sure I check mine daily.

Most of the time there are the ridiculous, but sometimes even genuine comments are marked as spam.

If I am not sure, I always click on the website or link they are from, to see what comes up. For the most part there is nothing there. But sometimes, you find real comments that need to be restored.

Often if a person has placed a link in their comment, you will find it could be marked as spam, but then again, Akismet shows no rhyme or reason to why they decide a regular commenter is spam-worthy!

Just don’t leave your Spam folder unchecked for too long… That is another way to lose real readers. If they can’t see their comment, or a response, they may not come back…

1. Jacquie Biggar
    Jan 04, 2019 @ 17:54:00

I never thought of checking my spam filter. Thanks for the heads up!

2. Trackback: Good thing I looked! – the continuing saga of the spam filter | Night Owl Poetry - Dorinda Duclos
  3. Carol Anne
    Dec 22, 2018 @ 07:37:12

I check mine daily too! Always worthwhile to do that!

4. Anindya
    Dec 20, 2018 @ 11:33:45

Absolutely right you are Ritu….spam filters must be checked so that genuine bloggers’ comments do not go unattended. Anything suspicious or malicious links that are in my spam filters, I don’t click on them, because they can contain malwares and trojans that can infiltrate your device and create nuisance. I just delete them.

5. thereluctantpoet
    Dec 20, 2018 @ 04:11:34

Reblogged this on The Reluctant Poet.

Dec 19, 2018 @ 19:29:21

That is important again. I forget about it since I am already happy when I can keep up with the comments which get through. A couple days ago checked it again and was not only busy deleting but also with releasing friends!

7. CarolCooks2
    Dec 19, 2018 @ 17:35:15

Good tip, Ritu..Much of mine is real spam but sometimes even regular commenters on my blog seem to find themselves in the spam column there seems to be no rhyme or reason sometimes 🙂

8. Dan Antion
    Dec 19, 2018 @ 16:58:14

“Just don’t leave your Spam folder unchecked for too long” – I’ve made this mistake. It can cost you, and it can take forever to review

Dec 19, 2018 @ 17:19:45

Recently my spam comes in waves..I get days of 1-4 comments then days of 30-50! And most are pure spam, but there are stragglers of genuine comments in there too!

9. OIKOS™-Publishing
    Dec 19, 2018 @ 14:02:47

Soooo true, Sis! Will you tell it WP too? 🙂 Michael

Dec 19, 2018 @ 08:18:21

Excellent tip Sis, I’ve been there , remember the Spam monster!

11. April Munday
    Dec 19, 2018 @ 07:34:37

I check every other day, which seems to be enough at the moment. I don’t know why some genuine comments go into the spam folder, but I think a comment that says just ‘Great post’ should go straight there.

12. pranabaxom
    Dec 19, 2018 @ 05:50:28

Going there just now to make sure your’s are not there.😊

Dec 19, 2018 @ 04:26:15

I need to check more regularly on this. Thanks Sister!!