TJ’s Household Haiku – Iron

Saturday is TJ’s Household Haiku Challenge – and the prompt word is IRON.

Image from Google – Shuttestock

I thought of the irons and ironing in India when I have been to visit. There are obviously irons on India, and most households will have one, but there is this luxury that us in the western world would appreciate greatly!

Even though I love ironing, (really!) when the heat is hitting 40 degrees C, there is definitely a chance that I won’t want to stand there pressing clothes!

So this is when you phone the dhobi wala, or press wala.  Basically the laundry, or ironing man.

He comes to your house with a bike that has a huge wooden table attached to the back of it, and a heavy coal fuelled iron, like the one in the image above, then he stand in your veranda and irons all your clothes for under £2-3!

Or if it is too hot,or you aren’t in a hurry, he takes your basket of clothes, and delivers them back to you later, fully ironed!

And they are ironed to perfection! You just have to be careful to explain if you have high fashion clothes that require creases in the places they are, or if you have jeans that want NO creases, because once that heavy iron hits your clothes, there is no going back crease-wise!!

So, onto my haiku (tanka) for today…

Therapy for me
A pile of un-ironed clothes
And a hot iron
Watching creases disappear
Satisfied – my job is done!

Ritu 2016

Happy ironing folks!

1. joey
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 18:27:09

I could truly benefit from this service now and again.

I have a friend who lives in Mexico and it is unfathomable to me how much delivery occurs. People will deliver ANYTHING to your home. Medicine, food from anywhere, groceries, cigarettes! Good mercy, I am jealous!

2. Judy Martin
    Jun 12, 2016 @ 08:30:39

I don’t mind ironing much either Sis, but sometimes it would be wonderful to use the services of the press wala! 🙂

3. New Journey
    Jun 05, 2016 @ 02:48:53

PS I love to iron….to bad I don’t buy any clothes anymore that need ironing…LOL

4. New Journey
    Jun 05, 2016 @ 02:48:19

My grandmother used a heavy metal iron she heated up on the wood cook stove back when….it wasn’t until years later that she would have electricity in her home and own an electric one….I usef it for a floor stopper when I lived at home…I think its at my sisters…love the post…kat

5. tjparis
    Jun 05, 2016 @ 00:42:05

Ironing can be strangely meditative I agree but I am afraid I would be calling in the dhobi wala far more than is necessary. Just loved your peek into your world. If you don’t mind I’ll add a link to this week’s prompt post to this as I think it is fascinating.

Jun 04, 2016 @ 22:12:52

Awesome! I wish they would come here too… lol!