Flash Fiction Challenge – The Chair #CarrotRanch #FlashFiction @Charli_Mills

I’m taking a chance on one of Charli’s 99-word prompts over at The Carrot Ranch!

November 2, 2017 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story a chair on a porch. Why is it there, and what might it mean? Think about using it as a prop or the main thrust of your story.

Hope this is ok!

Nanna would always be sat there in her chair on the porch.
I would spend hours with her, sat at her feet as a child, playing with my dolls, or reading a book. Sometimes she’d read me a story.
As I got older, she was still there, my sounding board, always giving me sage, simple advice for any problems I was facing.
Today I really need her. It’s a big step I’m about to take. I only wish she was still here…
Looking over, the empty rocking chair slowly creaks, as if encouraging me.
See, she is still here.

1. Trackback: Of Porches & Chairs « Carrot Ranch Literary Community
  2. Lisa @ The Meaning of Me
    Nov 07, 2017 @ 17:10:33

Some connections are stronger than time and place. Beautiful relationship depicted here. I miss my own grandmother every day…

3. Norah
    Nov 07, 2017 @ 11:51:55

That’s lovely, Ritu. I’m pleased you joined in. It was more than okay.

4. Colleen Chesebro
    Nov 05, 2017 @ 02:47:39

What a lovely story. Love it, Ritu. I still miss my grandma too. ❤️❤️❤️

5. Shailaja V
    Nov 04, 2017 @ 12:59:44

Amazing how some forces and their inspiration can be far-reaching in our lives,sometimes well into adulthood. This was wonderful, Ritu. Well captured in such few lines 🙂 Always a flash fiction fan!

Nov 04, 2017 @ 08:21:20

Awww! Lovely Ritu.

7. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Nov 04, 2017 @ 01:52:27

8. ellenbest24
    Nov 03, 2017 @ 15:37:27

Wow you captured her essence and your relationship in so few words. Beautifully done.

9. Hugh's Views and News
    Nov 03, 2017 @ 12:35:02

My, this was engaging, Ritu. Very creepy and dark. Sent a shiver down my spine.

10. Charli Mills
    Nov 03, 2017 @ 07:39:40

Wonderful flash, Ritu! You told an entire lifespan in 99 words. I like the realization that the power of her nanna’s presence continues on.

Nov 03, 2017 @ 08:02:09

Thank you so much Charli! I really miss not having my own grandparents in my life, so these kinds of stories hit home to me too.I make sure my kids, who still have all 4, are fully appreciative of them! They see one set every day, and the speak to my parents on the phone daily too, and visit regularly.
      I’m so glad I decided to take the Carrot Ranch challenges, it;s opened up a whole new set of possibilities!

11. TanGental
    Nov 03, 2017 @ 01:07:55

very touching; love the empty chair image. Powerful

12. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Nov 02, 2017 @ 23:45:06

Poignant. Well done,brought up images that I could reach out and touch.

Nov 02, 2017 @ 21:44:58

Indeed she is. 🌹🌹🌹

Nov 02, 2017 @ 21:13:57

A lovely story Sis. I miss my grandmothers. They were so funny and wise too 🙂

15. Frank Hubeny
    Nov 02, 2017 @ 21:04:18

I liked the creaking in the rocking chair at the end.

Nov 02, 2017 @ 20:26:06

I felt like this when my grandfather died. So often, I wished I ask him this or that and have his opinion… still missing him so much.