Connections With Royalty – #AnnualBloggersBash Competition Entry

I remember that day so clearly. I was only six. The excitement of the first royal wedding I was to be a witness (albeit via the television) to.

Prince Charles was marrying Lady Diana Spencer.

What a beautiful day.

That huge dress!

All the pomp and circumstance!

We sat around the television, engrossed in the minutiae of the ceremony.

And then, a few months later, I got a chance to actually see the Prince and Princess, in the flesh! They were doing a drive-by near our school in Solihull.

The whole school was to line the roads they were to pass, waving flags, cheesy smiles at the ready, as the royal car passed us by.

It was a matter of seconds really. As long as it takes for a car to drive by you. But those seconds felt so precious. She probably didn’t, but in my seven-year-old mind, I held the gaze of that Princess, the Princess of the People, and felt a connection.

Other royal weddings came and went, but none held my interest as much as that first one, until the wedding of the late Princess Diana’s firstborn.

It was another memorable date.

Not necessarily for a positive reason.

The day of their wedding coincided with the day my grandmother-in-law was admitted to hospital… and she never left that place. I recall seeing the royal couple’s first public kiss on the balcony, sat at the bedside of Bebeji.

But within the new Royal bride, the Duchess of Cambridge, I felt that same compassion that her mother-in-law had shown.

As the day draws closer to another wedding where the UK’s Royalty will welcome a new member, I wonder… will this day be filled with fond memories too?

#bloggersbash #writing #competition #blogging

In response to the Annual Bloggers Bash Writing Competition – for more details click here.

Mar 03, 2018 @ 11:41:54

Interesting to read your thoughts on Diana and Charles’ wedding. I also recall watching it and I loved her dress.

2. scr4pl80
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 17:11:17

I was with my sister in Alaska visiting a cousin when Charles and Di got married. We were so excited that she had a satellite dish so we could watch THE wedding as it was happening. We got up early and had tea and crumpets (coffee and donuts) while we watched. It is one of my favorite memories, made even more special because both my sister and my cousin have now passed away. How lucky you were to see them in person!

3. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 15:50:19

4. Jennie
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 11:41:42

I remember getting up in the middle of the night to watch the entire wedding. I think most of America did the same. It is still crystal clear in my mind; the “shy Di” look and the huge dress. I can’t believe my dear friend’s son will be attending this wedding! Will there be a TV at the Blogger’s Batch in a side room to catch some of the wedding?

5. Michael
    Mar 01, 2018 @ 22:32:05

You know I saw Charles and Di when they visited Australia. I was taking my daughter to a dr in Canberra and they were visiting someplace as we drove by.

Mar 01, 2018 @ 19:45:46

Did you really see Lady Di?

Mar 01, 2018 @ 19:29:55