#SoCS June 18/16 – Class

Linda’s SoCS prompt

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “class.” Use any meaning of the word in your post. Enjoy!

Class – well it’s pretty obvious what I’ll end up rambling about when I hear the word class, being a teacher!

It’s nearing the year end, reports are being written, progress reports are being filled in, thoughts of next year are forming…

But what of the class?

If you remember, back in September, I was nearly bald with tearing my hair out!

This is my first full academic year if being a teacher. Yes I’ve worked I education longer, but I decided to take the plunge and actually use my degree properly last year.

My first ever class…it was described as a ‘baptism of fire’!

Then, I felt my mornings and afternoons were being lived in a parallel universe.

As a Nursery teacher in a school we operate on a morning and afternoon session method, so 20 kids in the morning and a different 20 in the afternoon.

It should be relatively simple, similar things happening in each session…. But oh no!

The morning class were what we expected, but the afternoon class…. OMG!

From language, to behavior, to Special Needs, to protected children, we had em all! Spoilt only children, unloved, neglected children….

4 adults in the room weren’t enough!

I can’t say I hated it, but the challenges were (and are) so great, I was exhausted. I’d been bitten, sworn at, accused of allsorts, amid the snotty hugs and “I love you Mrs Bhathal’s”.

Would we ever be able to do anything with this class apart from baby sit? It was doubtful…

Now we have 5 weeks left.

And even though I can’t say that developmentally, they are where we would want them to be, there is improvement.

And over the year, there has developed an attachment between me and them.

Yes I’ll be glad to see them move on, but I’ll miss this class. Crazy or not, they will always be my first class, and from them, I’ve learned a lot!

Next month I’ll be meeting our new intake, due to start in September… Heaven knows what class of children we’ll be blessed with this time?!

1. joey
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 18:22:42

Such typical teacher feelings, somewhat like motherhood, they drive you crazy and you love them fiercely. Wonderful stuff 😀

Jun 18, 2016 @ 18:52:47

Almost 20yrs ago I used to work at Dr Barnardo’s school, so I can tell you I can empathize with you about ‘special needs children ‘ 😉😞

3. Shivangi
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 18:41:53

My son will start Kindergarten this year. He had been a preschooler and I saw preschool through his eyes. When I read your post I see things from a teacher’s perspective. Keep posting such blogs because I learn a lot through them…😀😀😀

4. jacquelineobyikocha
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 16:51:47

For some reason, I got a chuckle out of this post. Teachers are awesome and God-sent. Not an easy job by a mile 🙂

5. JoAnna
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 13:41:21

Thank you for being a teacher. It sounds like quite an adventure!

6. vanbytheriver
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 11:42:26

They are lucky to have you, Ritu, and you’re right, you’ll never forget them. ☺

Jun 18, 2016 @ 09:00:36

I can understand very well how surreal it felt at times like being thrown into two different worlds and that it takes a while until you can let become both a natural part of that one world of yours. I felt that several times in my life when I started something completely new. I am glad you grew into it and I cross my fingers for a lovely new bunch of kids you get 😊

8. freyathewriter
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 08:19:07

My mum (amongst many other things) works as a part-time TA in her village school. She assists children that have SENs – I know she find sit rewarding, but oh – it’s challenging! My step-dad is a retired secondary school teacher – he loves retirement 😉
    Good luck with the final 5 weeks!

9. 🎑 'M.' 🎑
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 08:05:28

I bet the children under your charge could see that you really wish them all the best! 😊 take care. 👌

Jun 18, 2016 @ 08:10:30

Aw thank you! I hope they realise that! Trying to give children a good start to their educational lives, so they are excited about learning in the future is all I wish to achieve!!!