That Big Boy Of Mine

I feel bad calling him Lil Man, but in stature he still is, so I guess I can carry on using the moniker!

Anyway, as you all know, he embarked on the next stage of his educational journey on Monday, starting BIG SCHOOL or secondary school.

I was so nervous. Much more nervous than him, or if he was, he did a great job of hiding his nerves!

But we walked in together, and he disappeared off…

He used his new mobile to text me at break, to say everything was ok, and let me know when he had lunch.

His grandad was there at the gate, waiting to pick him and they walked home with a few of the other boys he knows already, and their respective carers.

So my baby got home in one piece, with a big grin on his face!

And over the last 2 days, he has surpassed himself, in my eyes, anyway. He has come home with achievement points each day (one was an Ethos Award and the other a Star of the Class Award!), no forgetting anything, rudeness or bad behaviour, that would result in behaviour points, and 100% attendance, to all his classes.

How do I know?

Well, nowadays there is this whole system that is like Big Brother for schools!

His school sends all parents a special login to a service where we can see a child’s timetable, and each subject teacher registers them every lesson so you can make sure there is no truancy happening.

If you are like me and you worry, but don’t want to be too obvious, this site is perfect. If he forgets to text to say he arrived (which he has forgotten every day so far!) I can check to make sure he was registered initially.

I can see if there are any positive/negative points awarded, so they can’t hide that detention…!

Even their homework is on there so we know when things are set, and due. A good idea so you can give them gentle reminders to make sure they don’t forget. (forgotten homework is a behaviour point or even detention!)

We know when they have PE, so can make sure they always have the relevant kit in school. Sadly they don’t have lockers or even coat hooks, so this all has to be carried around on the day, along with the relevant subject books for that day.

And all his academic progress will be on there as they get assessed, for us to see.

I can pay online for his school dinners, if he wants them, so he doesn’t have to carry around money. They have their thumbs scanned at the beginning, so when they want to buy food, they scan their thumbs, and the relevant amount is deducted. And, I can check to see what feed items he has bought too, so if lunch is consisting of 3 desserts and chips, we can try and rectify that, because we know… no more fobbing mummy off with “I ate [insert all healthy food followed by a fruit dessert because that’s what mummy wants to hear!}”

We also have the ability to email their teachers directly of we have any worries. I did this today, to clarify a couple of points, and assured them I would not become one of those parents who is constantly on their case! And I got the most amazing reply back from one of his form tutors, telling me what a pleasure our son is to have in class, and how much they love to have him there! I’m not that naive that I would think my boy is something extra special to them.  They probably would say the same for all the children, especially so early on in the year, but it still makes us feel so proud of him!

So, all in all, he has settled beautifully! And yes he has his phone, which he spent a few days going crazy on, WhatsApping his friends constantly, but the novelty has worn off now I thing

And yes he has his phone, which he spent a few days going crazy on, WhatsApping his friends constantly, but the novelty has worn off now I think, so it is there for the emergencies that I said he needed it for!

Signing off as a very happy mummy! 🙂

1. Fourth Generation Farmgirl
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 23:09:21

Sounds like Lil Man is off to a great start! I like how the school is using technology to keep parents notified of students’ progress.

2. Miss Dinie
    Sep 14, 2016 @ 20:00:57

Aww ww.. Lil man grown up!! That school sounds a bit scary.. Monitoring everything like that.. But I suppose,at least you can nip problems in the bud.

3. 🌐 'M.' 🌐
    Sep 10, 2016 @ 18:08:33

😃

4. vinnieh
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 12:15:32

This post was really nice and I’m happy to hear he’s made a good start. High school can be very nerve-wracking.

Sep 08, 2016 @ 08:03:09

Isn’t it touching a mother’s heart to see how well they are dealing with life? How much they grow on their new “freedom” and responsibility? It is such an exhilarating and relieving feeling, isn’t it? Btw. I still call my youngest one “the little one”…. although he is already a lot taller than I am …. lol!

6. Bun Karyudo
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 07:30:30

I’m glad to hear he has got of to such a good start at high school. I hope my wife never hears of this system, though, in case it gives her ideas. I’d hate for her to find out what I’m eating for lunch.

Sep 08, 2016 @ 04:12:36

Lil Man spreading his wings…just a little and still under the watchful eye of mom 😊

8. Southern by Design
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 01:41:34

Yay! Sounds like things are starting well.

9. Heartafire
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 01:08:52

It is unfortunate that our society is such that we have to monitor our children’s movements and whereabouts at all times. I think it is a great service that the schools are providing an additional option for the parent to keep “tabs” and yes, knowing all about the school system and the kids that no longer face consequences for their behaviour, not to mention child predators that live right next door to us and especially near schools and playgrounds and other places of opportunity. So, I say thank you to the teacher who let us know what is going on with our child the 8 hours they are not in our care and to the school boards decision to use the options (technical) at home to help us with the task of safeguarding our kids. On a side note, I called my boy little man till one day about age 14 I realized i was looking up and no longer looking down when I spoke to him! :). They are precious gifts.

10. TanGental
    Sep 07, 2016 @ 23:26:06

Sorry and I hope you don’t mind but I’m going to disagree rather a lot. That login is just ghastly. I would have hated my parents knowing that level of detail and I would have been utterly appalled to know about that detail for my kids. They need to make all sort of mistakes and know you don’t know unless its bad enough for the school to tell you. Ok, knowing they’ve arrived safe is good but the rest… aghh. Sorry, I get how seductive it is but to me that sort of all seeing parenting, giving them no space to know you don’t know, is like reading their diaries. Me, I’d ask if they want me to know and if they say no then I tell them I won’t look. Am I naive? Or have I forgotten because mine have grown? Maybe but how do you avoid being a helicopter parent with this at your fingertips? Beats me. Good luck.

Sep 08, 2016 @ 00:02:26

I guess it all depends on how you use it. As a parents we signed contracts with the school to ensure certain things which, seeing these areas, ensures we can be totally supportive of our children and their education.
      I’ll not get too hooked on it, but use it as an occasional tool to know he’s on the right track, but I know a heck of a lot of people who will probably get too involved.
      Thus is why I called it Big Brother… because nothing is hidden….
      I guess we’ll see how it all goes!!
      Thanks His Geoffleship!

11. Nancy
    Sep 07, 2016 @ 23:21:36

Sounds like he is doing great, and you too “mom” 😊. Online info is great for curious/ worried parents who don’t want to let on to our kids about how curious/worried we really are. I love the cafeteria thumb scan. What a clever idea. The kids in our school have to enter a 4 digit PIN number to pay for their lunches. Sometimes they forget the number but they never forget their thumbs!