Allergic To My Fitbit!

I was so happy when I got my Fitbit for my birthday!

I’ve been wearing it everyday for 3 months, but I did notice a small rash under one area appearing.

In the past I have been allergic to certain metals (nickel) used in watches, so I tend to wear bracelet watches that are loose.

This has an elastomer strap and there is a small amount of nickel in the clasp.

I have turned it round, loosened it slightly, and worn a plaster to allow the sore to heal.

It eventually does, and things are ok for a while.

But last week it happened again, and by Friday the sore was so painful, I had to take my beloved Fitbit off!

wp-1480870309266.jpg

Ouch!

Will possibly need to return it… 😦

1. dogtormoore
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 20:23:04

Aw that sucks! Which Fitbit have you got? You can get necklaces that house the tracker for the Fitbit Flex, I wondered if that might work for you? πŸ™‚

2. Fourth Generation Farmgirl
    Dec 05, 2016 @ 15:29:31

Hope your arm heals soon and you’re able to problem solve the Fitbit. How frustrating!

3. Violet of Violet's Veg*n e-comics
    Dec 05, 2016 @ 14:34:30

What a shame! πŸ™‚

4. Mackenzie
    Dec 05, 2016 @ 09:12:24

Ahh bummer!!!! I have heard of this happening to several people. :(. Sorry about that!

5. blondieaka
    Dec 05, 2016 @ 03:23:06

I am the same…I can’t wear anything unless it gold. I have had tests and among other things, it’s zinc I am allergic to. I hope you can find a solution πŸ™‚

6. Ompong
    Dec 05, 2016 @ 02:37:31

That’s awful… my wife also get some rashes from metals. What she did was to coat the metal with nail polish and voila, she don’t have rashes anymore. πŸ™‚

7. shopgirlanonymous
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 21:32:13

That happened to me after my husband gifted me one a couple of years ago. I was so bummed!

Dec 04, 2016 @ 21:02:08

Perhaps you should simply attach a plaster on the Fitbit where it touches the skin and also take it off at night.

9. pensitivity101
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:50:48

ah. someone has already suggested that…..sorry for duplication!

10. pensitivity101
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:50:09

Just a thought following a similar reaction to a bracelet I was given many, many years ago……. have you tried coating the metal with a colourless nail varnish?

11. oceanoffear
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:23:39

I had to return mine as it caused contact dermatitis as well. Try painting clear nail polish over the nickel strap

12. pranabaxom
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:22:54

That rash looks nasty. Take care and get well soon.

13. Tenacity T
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:18:24

Oh crap! I hope you heal soon! I just got one πŸ˜‰

14. Holly Jahangiri
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:11:28

I’d contact Fitbit about that, show them the pictures, see if they have a good alternative. That looks really painful. I love my fitbit, but I have the fitbit one.

15. IreneDesign2011
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 19:00:39

This is so annoying Ritu, this is one of the reasons, I do all possible to buy my parts without nickel and lead. Unfortunately not all sellers are honest…
    I have allergy to nickel too and know they use nickel in so many things.
    Earlier many years ago, when I used to wear a watch, I had same problems. Then I placed a fabric patch, the glue part, down the watch, so the metal didn’t touch my arm. I have also tried to use a leather watchband, one of these, where the watch is placed upstairs the leather, this is working too.
    If you have any kind of bee wax, use a skinny layer at your damage and it will heal fast. You can use it several times a day.

16. Victo Dolore
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 18:59:07

Try painting the back of the clasp with clear nail polish?

17. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 18:41:27

This happened to me when I got married. My wedding band created such a sore for me and that was a beautiful white gold band… I will send you healing energy.

Dec 04, 2016 @ 18:29:25

Ooooh that looks nasty, Sis what a shame. Are they all made from the same materials?