Reminiscing all those good times! #ThrowbackThursday

That’s me!

Well, as I’m sat back at home, in the midst of my parents, and all things that remind me of growing up, even though they moved house, I felt it would be an ideal time to think about my childhood… and add some pictures into the mix too! (apologies if they are messily edited but I don’t know who would be happy to be included on the blog and who wouldn’t, so I have tried to blur faces out as best I can, apart from my mug anyway!)

I think I’m one of the luckiest people alive to have been been born into the family that I have. If you have read my blog from the early days, you’ll know how much my parents, and family mean to me. They have given my brother and me a most amazing upbringing, colourful and loving, with so much family mad culture thrown in, so that despite being in a different country, we missed out on nothing!

We spent most weekends visiting various members of the extended family, there was always something going on, from weddings, to new babies, to birthdays, to deaths, never a quiet moment!

In fact, having such a large family it was inevitable that there would be something going on. My brother was a sportsman so a lot of his weekends were taken up with training and matches, so Pops would literally split himself in two, dropping my brother, then taking us places, and picking my brother up, before getting us… This was the era of one car per family, it’s how things were done!

I recall one year where, I’m not sure I know the exact number, but I believe we had something like 50 odd invitations to weddings and functions… And on one occasion there were two weddings on one weekend. Now our Indian weddings aren’t a one day affair, we have a week long celebration. These two weddings were in two different towns, one near London and one in Birmingham, where we lived. I recall being picked up from school and getting changed in it, en route to,London, on a 2 hour journey, attending one pre wedding function, then falling asleep in the car in the early hours of the morning, on the way home. A little sleep then up again for the other wedding in Birmingham on the Saturday. Then another trek back to London on Sunday morning for the actual wedding day there!

Now me as a child, well. I was a little imp, from all the stories I hear! I didn’t stop chattering away, in fact I would apparently follow people, toddling after the, saying “Hello!” until they replied! Mum always tells of a story where they were pushing me around in a pram and two Welsh ladies followed them around, thinking I was like a doll! They asked if they could take me home with them! Obviously Pops and mum said no!

Me at around 6 months with my eldest aunt and one of my first cousins!

In a Gurdwara, a Sikh temple, men sit in one side, and ladies on the other. At weddings it was, and still is quite usual for children to cross back and forth, from parent to parent, bored of sitting for 2-3 hours. One wedding, I was doing just this, and at one stage mum glanced over to Pops to see where I was, but I wasn’t there! They caught each other’s eye mad realised I wasn’t in the room. I’m not sure how old I was, 2 maybe, but after scouring the temple, they ventured outside and saw me on the pavement, holding an English man’s hand, being brought back to the temple. He had seen me toddling down the road, and seeing no one with me, assumed I would have come from the temple which was a few metres away. Thankfully, those were the good old days, kindness prevailed, and I was brought back to my parents… Not whisked away! Silly child that I was!

My gorgeous mum and I

Oh, and wasn’t I the most difficult child, for my mum, when it came to eating! I was a Nightmare!!! Being the first child, my mum went through hell with me, she’d make all this amazing fresh food, and I would refuse it, milk? Nah! Ice cream, Yes please! She went to the doctors, worried for my health. The doctor apparently asked if I was happy, energetic, normal generally, and mum said yes. The doctor looked at her and asked why on earth she was worrying for then! When my own children did the same to me, she said “It’s payback time!”

We grew up with many other children around us, it was a great time to be a kid! And due to the fact that my Pops was the youngest of a few siblings, it meant that some of my cousins were older than him! So I had what we call nephews and nieces, the children of our first cousins, the same age as me! To confuse yourself further, read here!

Me with two of my cousins children, my nephews!

There were so many of us, that fun always ensued but there was also a fair share of arguments too! I remember one time specifically. I was, and am, a calm person, but like all big sisters, I HATED my little brother at that time. Still, he was my little brother, and I did love him really, so once, I heard some of the kids picking on him. I stormed out and said if they carried on, said that once again, I’d punch said child in the mouth. I’m not violent, AT ALL! But the kid played my bluff and said whatever he had been saying, again. And I didn’t hold back. One good punch to the teeth, and there was blood everywhere! Luckily he didn’t hit me back! I think he was in shock that I actually carried out the threat! And this is how much of a goody two shoes I was…when he went to his mum and told of me, no one believed him, as I could NEVER do something like that!!!! We still laugh about it to this day.. Yes, he is still talking to me!!!

I could go on, and on, and on about growing up, but for today, I’ll stop here, over the next couple of days I’ll aquaint to you to my private school life, and my summers in Kenya too! I hope I haven’t bored you too much, but enjoyed retelling these stories!

1. stevetanham
    Sep 06, 2017 @ 19:38:35

Such lovely family warmth.

2. Tikeetha T
    Aug 14, 2017 @ 15:55:39

You were the cutest little girl. You’ve become a beautiful woman Ritu. I love looking at old photos. Thanks for sharing a piece of your life with us.

Aug 11, 2017 @ 17:58:15

This is such a lovely post. It is wonderful growing up in a large extended family although sometimes it can get a bit much with so many people aroud all the time!! You have some fabulous memories Sis ๐Ÿ™‚

4. NJ
    Aug 11, 2017 @ 07:11:29

It was so much fun reading this post ๐Ÿ™‚ I loved all the pictures and your childhood memories ๐Ÿ™‚ and Indeed you were a beautiful kid ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Beaton
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 19:56:17

What a time to grow up hey?….. so those matching outfits? In what form were you bribed to keep them on… for some reason I cant help think of the Von Trapp Family singers when they go around dressed in drapes, Sound of Music, I watched that movie quite a fair share,……
    ~B

Aug 10, 2017 @ 20:01:54

Lol!!!! Those were the days you just wore what you were told to… not like now when 2 year olds throw tantrums if their nappies don’t match their teeshirts!
      Quite like the idea of being in the Indian equivalent of the Von Trapp family! ๐Ÿ˜

6. Unbound Roots
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 19:35:14

I really believe that growing up in a loving family is what makes this world a better place. I loved reading your recount of growing up. You reminded me of my youngest brother when he was little. He is now one of my best friends. Thanks for a heartwarming post. โค

Aug 10, 2017 @ 14:51:23

Love those matching outfits with you and your cousins ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜ wonderful memories Sister!!

8. angelanoelauthor
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 14:21:54

What a sweet family! Oh my, wandering away at two-years-old! Your poor mother! I think I would have been mid-heartattack at that point. But what a lovely reminder of the goodness of strangers. My own little one toddled away at the Minnesota State Fair (hundreds of thousands of people eating fried food and looking at stuff). We found him not too far away playing in a little sandbox with a watchful merchant anxiously keeping an eye on him until he heard our panicked voices. Thank heavens for that nice guy!

9. A.J. Sefton
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 13:27:05

Seems you had an idyllic childhood. Interesting stuff as usual, great pics and editing (haha!) Shared on Google

Aug 10, 2017 @ 13:30:30

Lol you can tell this was written and the photos ‘edited’ in my early days ! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I was lucky. My childhood was wonderful ๐Ÿ˜

10. Ritu
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 12:38:47

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

11. Jennie
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 12:29:57

Really nice, Ritu!

12. shewritesblogsss
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 12:20:02

Nicely put ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a huge extended family and hence can totally relate to your post ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Radhika Acharya
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 11:54:32

That was an entertaining ride truly. Loved it Ritu.
    Do drop by my site too sometime.:)

14. amindfultravellerblog
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 11:10:44

Love those outfits Ritu…. I think we had the same ones!!! Lol… ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Mona
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 11:07:48

Ah your wonderful childhood memories brought a smile to my face. ๐Ÿ˜Š And great pictures even after the blurring. You look too cute. ๐Ÿ˜„

16. IreneDesign2011
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 11:05:33

Thank you for sharing your memories Ritu and for many smiles ๐Ÿ˜€

17. Bee Halton
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 10:31:53

Wow, that sounds like a busy childhood :-). My family was not huge but we visited my uncle in Switzerland (I grew up in the South of Germany) and my other uncle closer by. But it was nowhere as busy as yours :-).

Just wanted to say thank you for following my old blog. I moved it to a self-hosted place and could not take my lovely followers with me :-(. Would be great to welcome you at the new (old) The Bee Writes… and subscriptions are now possible (just a small hint, isn’t it :-)? )

18. shaunkellett
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 10:26:31

Lovely reflective piece, Ritu! Family are so important and it’s great to have such a loving one ๐Ÿ™‚

19. RuthBH2Day
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 09:53:07

what a weekend with all that wedding travel. lovely blog

20. blondieaka
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 09:43:05

A lovely tale of childhood and memories I love reading such tales ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Ophira
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 09:19:57

So beautifully written ๐Ÿ˜Š I think as Indian families we always have so many functions to attend. I love my childhood memories because of all the amazing ppl I was around with all the socializing ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ It’s all something to look back on..there was never a dull moment.

22. foodzesty
    Aug 10, 2017 @ 08:14:34

Lovely story once again…love the photos….:)

23. The Champa Tree
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 15:08:33

Haha. .Indian weddings I swear!

24. Fourth Generation Farmgirl
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 11:52:27

Enjoyed your wonderful pictures and stories! ๐Ÿ™‚

25. patchworkrainbows
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 08:49:44

Lovely story!

26. เชชเซเชฐเซ‡เชฎเชชเชฐเช–เช‚เชฆเชพ
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 08:36:08

Superb…

27. edwinasepisodes
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 07:48:16

Lovely stories, Sounds like you had a lovely childhood, and have amassed many treasured memories. That in itself is priceless ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Chris White
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 07:24:48

Such precious and wonderful memories Ritu. And when you’re old and daft like me … they will still shine brightly if you let them.
    Kris