Living In A YouTube World – #MondayBlogs

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a shift in the behaviours of their, or other children these last few years?

In my world, the children, despite being restricted, seem to be constantly watching or near one screen or another. Whether it’s the TV, phone, tablet or PC, there is always some reason for the need for these electronic devices.

I’m lucky though, with Lil Man. He will use his phone to message friends, listen to music, take the odd photo, and maybe play a game or two. Sometimes he likes to watch funny clips on YouTube. But he’s a naturally active child, so he’d rather get out there and be physical, on his bike in the garden, or playing cricket.

Lil Princess is creative in her own way, she has heaps of Arts and Crafts materials and enjoys constructing things, or reading, but she has developed a bit of an obsession for certain online games, like RoBloks and MSP. We limit that access to weekends, and monitor what she is playing.

Though what she likes the best, is watching YouTube videos. It could be watching the latest video from her favourite Vloggers, like Smelly Belly TV or the Dobre Brothers, or listening to music, watching videos with lyrics on them so she can learn the words.

But the ones I find the most annoying, and what seems to encroach on reality, are the tutorial videos and the reveal ones. From watching how to apply makeup, to how to make slime, to being enraptured by a person opening a box or packet of something or another, it is starting to creep into her usual life.

What do I mean?

Well, it’s the way she talks!

When she is going to do something, like make any thing arty, she doesn’t necessarily have a camera facing her (though she has tried that too!) but there is a constant dialogue, describing what she is doing, step by step. If she opens a toy, again the dialogue starts.

If she is choosing an outfit, there is a one sided conversation happening with her imaginary followers!

But it’s like she, and other children I have noticed, can’t do ANYTHING without talking through it. Even watching TV or a film! That is so annoying! She feels the need, to commentate about everything that is happening on screen, and makes us miss important dialogues because she is more interested in dissecting what just happened, or what might happen!

And (forgive me, my American Blogily) its almost always in an American accent! I am constantly correcting her pronunciation and vocabulary!

Honestly, I feel like I am living life in a YouTube channel!

Oh, and don’t get me started on the fact that she, along with most kids, sees a camera phone and automatically gets the pout on!

How about you, Peeps? Have you noticed this phenomenon sweeping the youth you encounter, or is it just my strange child?

1. Tarun Mankar
    Sep 23, 2017 @ 08:39:14

Nice article

2. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Sep 19, 2017 @ 16:35:25

3. vanbytheriver
    Sep 19, 2017 @ 16:06:20

Social media and this generation…it’s like “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”. Ugh. I feel for you, Ritu.

Sep 18, 2017 @ 19:59:07

My daughter loved to take selfies but she never behaved like the main character of a YouTube video… neither do my boys (they don’t like being in the center of the attention anyway):

Sep 18, 2017 @ 19:34:06

My daughter doesn’t do the commentary thing, but she does occasionally try the American accent, and a bit of American slang which I have no clue what it means! She also gets the pout on, God knows when that will stop! I feel for you, Sis 🙂

Sep 18, 2017 @ 17:28:16

It is sadly a sign of the times! It is a scary thought what would everyone, especially the younger generations, do if there was a complete media white out or even worse a total electrical black out! Chaos, fighting… It would not take long. Children are no longer needing to add up or spell, it is all done for them. Tills in shops display the bill, spelling is corrected by predictive text or spell checkers… Scary.💜💜💜💜

7. Jim
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 16:53:19

my kids are in their 30’s. they put on that pouty face and I tell them to talk to their significant other. and I don’t overly worry about prices on electronics. they’re not living at my home and sucking all of my money and the life out of me.

8. oneta hayes
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 15:44:47

I’m not sure this is a bad thing. I think paying attention to detail and verbalizing such would lend itself to good communication, reading, and writing. I notice my thoughts are the thoughts of a teacher when I do puzzles, particularly Sudoku. I’ll be thinking as if I am explaining how I make decisions to a make believe student! And I hope you are correcting accents in Okie, USA manner! 😀

9. Kurian
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 15:40:20

This peep feels it’s common

10. Shivangi
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 14:50:27

My little one watches Ryan’s Toy Video. It is noticeable everywhere😣

11. Mona
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 14:03:21

It’s not just the kids. I do this too.. or may be I am still a kid at heart. 😂

12. colinandray
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 13:54:33

I just talk to myself. I have some quite revealing conversations and they, for the most part, are quite agreeable… but I guess that’s a little different to your situation there! 🙂

13. shelleywilson72
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 13:50:35

Hahahaha my daughter used to do the exact same thing – right down to the American accent!! Take comfort in the fact that she’ll grow out of it. My E loves the tutorial make up videos but no longer adds the running commentary, and god help any of them that talk through the Walking Dead!! 😉

Sep 18, 2017 @ 13:43:51

I see a major majority of kids (college students) walking through the halls with their heads down and faces glued to their cells phones. It is amazing how kids can start to mimic what they are seeing on the tv/internet.

15. Geetha B
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 09:15:35

My son does not put the pout on but unfortunately he too seems to be talking to followers and describing everything when he plays a videogame. I guess it is just a sign of the times and we need to embrace that these you(tube)th are not going to be like us. It is a disruption in social behaviour that we need to get used to.

16. Liberty on the Lighter Side - (LoLS)
    Sep 18, 2017 @ 08:26:46

Oh Yes, thought it was just my kids!!!!! It is driving me demented. The other thing that is very irritating is when my little girls repeat their OWN actions as if they are watching themselves, prefixed with an ‘I was like…and then she was like…’ I HATE that word ‘like’.