#SoCS July 2/16 – Long

Linda’s prompt for #SoCS this week.

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “long.” Use the word “long,” any definition. Enjoy!

SoCS badge 2015

It’s been a long day, no week, actually month, no, sod it, a LONG year, in school!

But has it? Seriously, I can’t quite believe that my first full year of teaching is due to come to an end.

At the beginning, as I got to know the children in my classes, I despaired. There was a class of angels in the morning, and a class of devils post lunchtime!

Literally!

Even my co-teacher said she felt for me, that this first year for me was like a baptism of fire!

I would end each day with my hair all over the place, like I had been dragged backwards through a hedge, and quite possibly, I had been, such were the kids, and their behaviours. This year was going to be LONG!

I had never been one to drink, but I found myself nursing a long drink or a glass of wine on several occasions during the first half of the year.

The first few weeks passed slowly, and in a haze. I was unable to believe the mix of children we had in one classroom, at the same time, and I despaired. The whole team did. This year seemed like it would never end. Most of my staff are older than me by 20 odd years. Full of experience, but at the ends of their tethers, dealing with this particular class. I was worried that I would come in one day, and be confronted by the news that one of them had handed in their notice

That was how bad it was.

It’s better now, marginally, but not perfect. They still aren’t where I would have hoped they would be, but still, it’s nearly time to say goodbye to them, and get ready to greet the new intake.

And now I am sat at the tail end of the year, and I look back, I realise that it wasn’t actually that long, really. In fact, the year has really sped by!

Jul 03, 2016 @ 10:30:49

I think time passed so quickly when looking back right because you had a load of work to do with your bunch of your little “sheep”. I cross my fingers that the next group is a easier to handle, Sis!

2. jacquelineobyikocha
    Jul 03, 2016 @ 09:56:44

Starting out is always the hardest part and you seem to have gotten a hold of things. Well done and enjoy your break 🙂

3. freyathewriter
    Jul 03, 2016 @ 09:16:01

Time is elastic… and at least you get a new intake in September – they could be angels all day long… 😉

4. Laura
    Jul 03, 2016 @ 02:13:46

🙂 My daughter’s teacher had what she called “crazy hair” days — you could tell how the kids were behaving based on how wildly spiky her hair was.

Jul 03, 2016 @ 08:55:33

What a great indicator!! My daughters’ is long but permanently messy… From hers, you can tell how many somersaults she’s attempted that day!!!

5. Judy Martin
    Jul 02, 2016 @ 17:31:49

You have done so well Sis, and I am very proud of what you have achieved in such a short time as a teacher, poet and blogger! xx

Jul 02, 2016 @ 06:14:18

I don’t know but I guess that this first has been your baptism of fire and from now things can only get better! You survived you can celebrate that! 😉 xx

7. LindaGHill
    Jul 02, 2016 @ 01:30:04

Funny how time works, isn’t it? Thanks for sharing your year, Ritu! 🙂

Jul 02, 2016 @ 08:00:43

Thanks for the prompt Linda!!! I enjoy sure flies… No matter how long you think something is gonna be, when you look back, you realize how fast it actually went!