The Island #writephoto

Sue’s photo prompt for #writephoto this week.

Wales 314

The Island
Ever since I was little, it fascinated me.
That little glimpse of land.
My daddy pointed it out to me one day, during a walk on the beach near our house.
We would stand there, feet tickled by the ripples as the tide rolled in and out.
“One day Becky, we are going to live there, on that little bit of paradise, away from the world. Just our little family.” We would make all sorts of silly plans for out future on the mysterious island.
Then he announced that he was off on an adventure. He whispered to me that he was going to the island on his little boat, and he was going to stake a claim on it. It was our secret. I even helped him make a flag to fly there, once he arrived.
He promised that when he was back, we would pack our things and sail back there, and make a home for ourselves.
He was gone for days.
Mummy was fine at first, then after the first couple of days, she started to fret. He never went away for this long without telling her in full detail. This time, he had been a little elusive, and just mentioned that he had work. She called friends and family to no avail, and then the police.
In the end, I had to tell her our secret.  That daddy was off exploring, and sailing to the island that we used to see on the horizon.
It was so manic around our house, then they told us they had found a boat, and they believed it was Daddy’s. It was washed up on some rocks, not far from where we would stand and look out at our dream home.
Mummy cried so much. But I couldn’t understand why she was upset. Daddy hadn’t been found. My flag wasn’t in the boat.
It was obvious to me. Daddy had got to the island and was flying my flag there. He was just waiting for us to make our way there.
So now, I still go and stand, feet in the water, gazing out at the speck of land, rising from the horizon. If I look hard enough, I am sure I can see a flag flying.
It won’t be long daddy, I’ll be there soon.  It took a lot of convincing, but mummy finally let me have sailing lessons, and when I get a boat, I’ll sail over to you, so we can make our dream come true…

#writephoto

1. macjam47
    Jul 09, 2016 @ 02:12:30

Heartrending.

2. Jane Dougherty
    Jul 07, 2016 @ 14:51:45

I don’t know which outcome I’m hoping for—that he was a heel and dumped his family, or that he was so desperate that he killed himself. Either way, the poor child suffers.

3. Trackback: Photo prompt round-up – The Island – writephoto | Sue Vincent – Daily Echo
  4. Judy Martin
    Jul 04, 2016 @ 17:26:55

Love this Sis. The unwavering faith the child has in her Daddy. Very bitter-sweet. 🙂

5. vronlacroix
    Jul 04, 2016 @ 13:38:30

The faith of a child. Sweet story. I enjoyed reading.

6. Trackback: The Island by Ritu #writephoto | Sue Vincent – Daily Echo
    Jul 03, 2016 @ 10:28:04

Oh my, Sis, that touched me so much. Such a very poignant story…. the tragic and the believing heart of a child in one situation. You are amazing, Ritu!

8. stevetanham
    Jul 03, 2016 @ 10:27:24

Very tender.

9. Chris White
    Jul 02, 2016 @ 11:12:21

It is enchanting and optimistic. You leave us to fill the gaps and that is good.

10. vanbytheriver
    Jul 02, 2016 @ 02:52:51

Very sweet, Ritu. ❤️

11. sheldonk2014
    Jul 02, 2016 @ 01:31:25

What a beautiful story

12. Deb
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 23:20:29

Wow, love this! It’s bittersweet but also optimistic. I am of the opinion that her Daddy is on that island, there’s no way for him to get back so he’s figured out a way to survive and one day they will meet up again. I just wish Mummy would take a boat over there to check it out! Wonderful story!! 🙂

13. Sue Vincent
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 23:03:18

Oh, how sad, Ritu!

14. Shadeau
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 22:58:52

This is a heart-wrencher.