Metamorphosis In Action

The life cycle of a butterfly.

It’s a common topic amongst classes in primary school.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar story is read and all sorts of songs are sung about the changes that happen in that life cycle.

And there are so many activities that come from the story!

We often have the caterpillars in a special net to watch turn into chrysalisesΒ then butterflies. In fact, one of my colleagues’ father breeds them so she will bring over 100 ready, in a special net enclosure for the children to watch, and when the resulting butterflies come out, they have a mass letting go session!

But nothing beats nature, let’s be honest!

A few weeks ago my class patiently planted some seeds and the Nasturtiums had grown, and were almost ready to flower… until we noticed that something had been eating them!

And what we found, or actually what my pupils found, was amazing! There were dozens of caterpillars!

As we hunted further, we found eggs and have been watching them over the last few days, and have a range of caterpillars now from 1 mm long to at least 4 cm! I am hoping they at least get to see some real chrysalises too before we break up!

They’ve not left much in the way of leaves on one side!

And we even found a cabbage white caterpillar!

20170711_111036

As I said, there is nothing quite like Nature to teach a child a lesson!

Jul 16, 2017 @ 16:55:22

Nature has so many lessons for us Sis, although I do have to admit to liking flowers more than caterpillars! πŸ™‚

2. Ann GrubbsnCritters
    Jul 15, 2017 @ 20:48:00

One of the best education around is certainly in nature!

3. Transit Address
    Jul 15, 2017 @ 08:39:33

I found one in my backyard,i kept an eye over it,observed carefully,but unfortunately it wasn’t a caterpillar as i thought

Jul 14, 2017 @ 20:59:24

Awesome! I always love when school is not only books but life! Wonderful and I hope you can see the butterflies hatching too!

5. Jennie
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 20:27:40

Nature is a child’s greatest teacher. I love this post and the photos. I am so lucky that I live less than two hours from the Eric Carle Museum, author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. They also have the best bookstore in the world, and tons of stuff for teachers. Check them out on line. πŸ˜€

6. pranabaxom
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 14:44:40

Nature is indeed the best teacher.

Jul 14, 2017 @ 13:56:58

The was a good surprise and impromptu lesson.

Jul 14, 2017 @ 11:26:08

Nature has all the trophies and answers. It’s a shame we treat her so badly. Hopefully the children will realise nature’s worth.
    That’s a lovely way to teach them Sis I love the idea and the πŸ’œπŸ’—

9. clickerwriter
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 10:42:03

That is great! And to think that in our country silkworms have been “traditionally” killed in boiling water to make silk sarees is disgusting. Those poor souls!

10. foodzesty
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 08:02:57

Nice! πŸ™‚

11. Sue Vincent
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 07:01:13

You can’t beat caterpillars as lessons πŸ™‚

12. Anna
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 06:54:54

Wow what a journey. But sad destiny for the flowers.

Jul 14, 2017 @ 05:19:34

I must admit that I am not a huge fan of caterpillars, Ritu. This post did bring back delightful memories of “silk worm season” when I was at school.

14. radhikasreflection
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 05:07:06

Well said Ritu. Nature is the best teacher. Perfect pictures πŸ‘Œ

Orienthailiving.

Phad Thai to Apple Pie

So Many Mistakes

a guide to bad dating

From Michigan to Germany

A family from Michigan living abroad in Germany.

Rachael's thoughts...

On tips and tools for working in PR, living in the North East and much more.

The Inspirational Warrior

Blogging about little things we can do to Improve our Mental Health and our Financial Health

Last Bench

Not all stories have a happy ending!

Atrangi Zindagi Ka Safar

Celebrating life

Shit Stevie Says

Good Shit, bad shit, funny shit, sad shit. Maybe I'll inspire you! Or maybe I won't... Perhaps I'll talk about worldly matters, or maybe my not so subtle obsession with aliens, or (if you're really lucky) I just might one day give insight on how to make the worlds best sandwich. Guess you'll only find out if you read. So sit back, grab a glass of wine (because there is a 100% chance I indulged in one while writing), and enjoy. Welcome to the enigma that is my brain. My name is Stevie Jackson, and I have shit to say.