Curse the Cursive!!! #ThrowbackThursday

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/7b9/79708557/files/2015/01/img_0859.jpg

We have a new handwriting policy at school, and it means we need to model what we would like our pupils to achieve…

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love the way cursive writing looks, it was the handwriting we learned at school too, but over the years, my handwriting has evolved into its own style… A sort of semi-joined formation, depending on the occasion, but it does seem to change, depending on the pen I’m using too. Big, small, straight, slanted, you’ll find them all in my writing over various books!

Being at school means we need decipherable handwriting, so on white boards, and in books, children can read what we have written with ease. I have worked hard at getting my printed handwriting to a great standard for these occasions… It lapses back to my usual spider scrawl at other times.
I love the neatness and conformed sizes of many of my colleagues writing, and aspire to write like them all the time… Now we have to change it!!!

What takes me 10 seconds to write usually is taking me 2 minutes, as I forget to start at the line, and when I use my own doctored joins, I have to re-write them… the correct way!

I need my fountain pen again I think. I’m sure I was much neater with that!

1. Trackback: #SoCS Nov. 25/17 – Ink | But I Smile Anyway...
  2. Trackback: SoCS - Ink
  3. John Holton
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 19:26:41

I don’t write with a pen anymore because my right hand was affected by the stroke and I never got the hang of writing left-handed, but it’s no great loss. Sometimes it was so bad even I couldn’t read it. Still, I think cursive is a good skill for kids to have.

4. Diana Frajman
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 16:50:08

I am told that they are not even teaching cursive handwriting in the schools here anymore with the exception of teaching how to sign ones name. What a shame as it is such an art form.

5. A Silver Garden
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 16:48:06

it just seems so backwards to not continue teaching cursive. i confess that mine has never been that good… and worsens with age, but it was such a right of passage to have those lessons in school and start writing like the grownups!
    this is a sad albeit progressive time.

6. Aimer Boyz
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 15:43:35

Teaching yourself to NOT do something Ugh!

Nov 23, 2017 @ 15:10:06

We used to have to write with fountain pen at school too and I am sure it improves the look of handwriting! 🙂

8. angelanoelauthor
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 15:02:51

You know, I have terrible handwriting, and I ALWAYS blame the pen. 🙂

9. Ruth Daly
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 13:40:08

I feel your pain! Happy writing 🙂

10. ellenbest24
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 12:02:37

I flipped your #ThrowbackThursday My hand writing looks like a n arachnid took a stroll across the page after bathing in ink. And I had lessons in Italics …

11. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 11:32:37

12. You Can Always Start Now
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 11:32:15

my writing is awful – as can’t read awful.

13. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 11:31:53

14. Phil Taylor
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 10:54:27

My cursive isn’t what it once was, but like you, I do appreciate the beauty of cursive. I wish they’d make it mandatory hear in the States in schools. My two youngest boys only know how to write their names in cursive!

15. Bryntin
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 10:25:33

Oh fountain pens, how I struggled with you in order to look different and smart with my beautiful, calligraphic cursive but you betrayed me and left behind just a trail of illegible obliterated blotchy mess because I was left handed…

16. Osyth
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 08:58:30

French schools teach cursive handwriting from age 3 and it is fair to say that Daphné (aged 6 and 3/4) has far more legible and beautiful handwriting than me …. 😆

17. weejars
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 08:39:02

Oh my goodness. As a fellow teacher I have this same issue! In fact (and I may be showing my age here) when I was at university, I failed chalkboard writing because I couldn’t get the hang of the Victorian Modern Cursive.

18. April Munday
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 07:58:14

You can’t beat a fountain pen for making you think about how you’re forming letters.