January 4 – Flash Fiction  – Copper Country

Charli’s prompt this week:

January 4, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about Copper Country. It can be any place, fictional, historical, or on another planet. Go where the copper leads.

January 4 Flash Fiction Challenge by @Charli_Mills

Though it should say January 4!

Hmmm… interesting prompt… where will it take my 99 words?

I went with the meaning of copper as a policeman, a common nickname for them in the UK, as is a Bobby! You can check this link out for more police-related slang terms and their meanings!

The Land of Bobbies!

Wherever you turned, they were there.
If you popped out for a bite to eat, guaranteed there would be at least four you would see in the establishment.
On your way to work, you were sure to be flanked by a couple.
Putting your rubbish out on collection day, there would be eyes on you.
Even in your home, you couldn’t escape. At least one family member was going to be one.
Still, at least you felt safe,if a little intimidated, by their presence.
That’s what you got for moving to Copper Country – The police were just everywhere!

1. Michael B. Fishman
    Jan 12, 2018 @ 14:05:05

I liked your take on the prompt and it reminded me of the old 1930’s gangster movies and I could see someone like James Cagney sitting in a restaurant upset about living among all the coppers.

2. Trackback: Copper Country « Carrot Ranch Literary Community
  3. julespaige
    Jan 08, 2018 @ 18:52:28

Ah… I was having trouble with copper – though I went in the metal direction.
    I like your Copper story, we’ve got one household in our family we call a ‘Mixed Marriage” – one’s a Copper and the other a Firefighter!

4. Hugh's Views and News
    Jan 08, 2018 @ 16:49:25

Oh my goodness, this had me rocking. Great take on the prompt, Ritu. Had me laughing and not being able to stop. I had no idea where you were going with it. Well done.

5. anuragbakhshi
    Jan 08, 2018 @ 05:21:46

Brilliant take, loved it. Till half an hour before I started writing my story this morning, I was sure I was going to write a story on Alibaba getting the 40 thieves caught, by sending them to a Copper Town (they think it has copper, while it is full of coppers), or killed, by sending them to a site with mines….which are filled with copperhead snakes! But finally wrote what I wrote, for stories have a life of their own 🙂

6. D. Avery @shiftnshake
    Jan 07, 2018 @ 22:57:37

And the police station is known as the cop shop. Fun take.

7. Charli Mills
    Jan 07, 2018 @ 06:38:26

Bobbies! That’s a clever take on the prompt, and great build-up of suspense, too.

Jan 06, 2018 @ 18:49:01

Well done, Sis. I enjoyed your take on it. If only there were as many Coppers on the streets! 🙂

9. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist
    Jan 06, 2018 @ 12:08:15

Good use of the prompt. We call them coppers here as well although the term Bobby didn’t make it over here. Living in copper country is good when you are a law abiding citizen, if not I guess it makes it more of a challenge to do the crime.

Jan 06, 2018 @ 05:56:54

I really laughed at this, Ritu. My idea is almost the exact opposite as you will see in due course.

11. dornahainds
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 19:07:24

Marvelous! 😎😎😎😎😎

12. Michael
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 18:40:05

Good one Ritu, yes you see them everywhere.

13. D. Wallace Peach
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 17:05:15

That’s a lot of copper! Wonderfully done, Ritu. 🙂

14. Believing Sight Unseen
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 16:54:43

So glad you posted your take on this one! I hadn’t a clue with ‘Copper Country’ as a prompt but can think of a tangent to spin off on now! Thanks Ritu.

15. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 16:40:33

16. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Jan 05, 2018 @ 16:00:55

Interesting take… “Copper Country” exists in the great State of Michigan, where I live, and I have had the pleasure of vacationing there years ago… perhaps I should write something. maybe