March 29 – Flash Fiction  – Fingers That Fly

Charli’s prompt this week:

March 29, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about fingers that fly. Think about the different ways we use our fingers and what happens when we add speed. Go where the prompt leads.

Life Savings
Nervously, Frank handed the package over to the girl.
“Now, be careful with that-” He paused to look at her name tag “-Jennifer. I worked hard for those dollars. Now they tell me I gotta keep it in a bank, and not under my mattress. Safety, they say. It was plenty safe with me – until they got that new cleaner in. I don’t like her. Always tidying. I know she knows where I keep my money…”
Frank watched as Jennifer’s fingers flew, deftly lifting and counting the bills, like a seasoned pro.
“You will keep it safe, won’t you?”

1. D. Wallace Peach
    Apr 05, 2018 @ 14:33:36

I used to keep my money in a jar in the closet. 🙂 I can relate to Frank. Great story, Ritu. 🙂

2. Trackback: Flying Fingers « Carrot Ranch Literary Community
  3. Norah
    Apr 02, 2018 @ 07:43:01

Ah, yes. We do trust that our earnings will be safe. Lovely flash showing the anxiety of losing it.

4. anuragbakhshi
    Apr 02, 2018 @ 02:31:58

Considering what we have been seeing over the last few years, I think his money would have been safer in the mattress 😦

5. Jules
    Mar 31, 2018 @ 16:14:47

I remember watching a couple of shows about homes, and one was that when the old owners left or died – all that was in the house was sold with it. One had a mattress stuffed with bills and another had money stashed in an upright piano.
    The one with the piano – the new owners traced the old owner who had moved into a retirement community and gave it back.

Mar 31, 2018 @ 16:17:02

I remember a couple coming into the bank when I worked there with rolls of old…really old £5 notes that they had found in a deceased parents belongings. It happens a lot!

6. Jennie
    Mar 31, 2018 @ 13:39:10

Good, Ritu!

Mar 31, 2018 @ 09:17:55

Ah, shame, poor old man not wanting to put his money in the bank.

8. Charli Mills
    Mar 31, 2018 @ 02:53:00

Hard to trust anyone’s flying fingers around your life savings! Your flash seems to foreshadow an ominous misfortune. Good use of a teller’s flying fingers. They are fast!

9. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist
    Mar 31, 2018 @ 01:29:53

I feel for the poor old chap. Age has caused him to make a lot of changes and using the bank is probably the one that frightens him the most. The teller’s flying fingers probably did nothing to make him feel any more secure. Good use of seasoned pro. Enjoyed the story.

10. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Mar 30, 2018 @ 20:36:06

Aren’t some tellers amazing? I have watched them handle money so rapidly that I have questioned if they were actually able to count it proper.

Mar 30, 2018 @ 19:17:59

Love it Sis 💜💜

12. russwillo
    Mar 30, 2018 @ 14:50:55

Nice topic.. wanted to make a video about it, but alright (Laughs)

Mar 30, 2018 @ 12:48:59

I’ve seen some fast fingers count money. This is good Sister!

14. OIKOS™-Redaktion