Old Folk and Window Pains

Sales people never cease to amaze me.

I know I shouldn’t be surprised by some of their tactics and comments, but they still do manage to render me speechless at times.

Take yesterday for instance.

My in-laws are looking to have all their doors and windows replaced so they have been shopping around for quotes, as most normal people would do.

So they invited this guy round from some company or another, and you know he’s pretty experienced, as his patter was rolling off his tongue, no problem.

Replacing windows is always going to be a costly affair, and we know that.

A family friend said he could do the whole house for £6,500, which seems pretty reasonable, but he isn’t too reliable with timings and getting back in touch to discuss details.

So this young(ish) man who came yesterday spent around 2 hours gong through everything, showing options and measuring up, so he could get the quote ready.

Hubby Dearest was there for a short while, then had to disappear to take our young cricketer to another match. I listened as he tried his damnedest to sell his products to mum and dad.

The quote, which was presented with much pomp and circumstance, along side guessing games, as he thought he was a bit of a showman, was around £11,500.

Enough to make my mum-in law-choke!

Then, obviously, he wanted them to make a decision…NOW!

Dad asked all the questions that every Indian asks, like if we pay cash, what discount can he get, and is that your best price, what can you throw in…

Then he said “Right, well I will get back to you, thank you for the quote.”

This guy sat there like the ground had disappeared from beneath his feet!

“But I thought you were the home owners? The decision makers are all here!”

“Yes, but we want to discuss this with our children too.”

It was like no one had ever refused him a sale on the spot before, or that it was strange that they needed to think!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the whole point of quotes, that you shop around, then make an educated decision on who you are going to pay your hard earned money to?

“Er, I’m just going to have to call my office, this is most unlike the usual process…”

Really?

My in-laws have been conned before, which is why their boys (or girls-in-laws) insist on either being there at these meetings, or at least being consulted so they can do a little more research to make sure their parents get the best deal.

My father in law is retired, its his pension he is breaking into, and he isn’t going to throw £11,500 away to the first person that asks!

I ended up turning around to him and said “I seriously don’t think this is the first time you would have had people asking for time to think. Surely not every customer of yours is ready to commit within moments of you giving them a quote! It’s not like £11,500 is change in someone’s pocket…!”

He changed his tune a bit then, and became quite sheepish.

Offered them a deal at £8,500 if they could commit ASAP as there is a couple of gaps in their schedule that they need to fill… but I still sent him packing with the reassurance that as soon as the family have been consulted, and other quotes have been got, we will call!

Sales people, huh!

1. vanbytheriver
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 23:44:02

I’d walk away from this one. The type of person that a company hires to represent them…says a lot about that company. The pressure he placed on everyone should never happen, and wouldn’t if they were a reputable firm. I would never make that kind of investment without a few quotes. This guy knows that. No doubt. ☺

Jun 04, 2016 @ 16:48:50

The more they push, the least you should make that deal…. my opinion! If they are good workers and worth the money, they wouldn’t have a problem to wait. Not correct in my opinion!

3. pranabaxom
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 15:42:28

Have you met salesmen of God?

4. TanGental
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 15:00:52

Yeah let him stew.

5. misfit120
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 13:14:31

Same thing here. Like I zez to the muffler guy who runs his own business, “Hey, can ya gimmie a quote for a new tailpipe for my truck?” And he sez, “Um, nah, I don’t give quotes cause if I’m off by a few bucks people get mad.” So I’m thinking, WTF, like I’m gonna let you just fix my tailpipe and not know what its going to cost me. This of course is MisfitWisdom logic….like actually wanting a quote,. How stupid of me.

6. colinandray
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 12:50:53

My background is in purchasing and some points come to mind here.

Expecting an instant decision is unrealistic and clearly a pressure sell. Walk away!
    Claiming that thinking about a quote is unusual is ludicrous. Walk away!
    Reducing from 11,500 to 8500 suggests that he was initially trying to gouge additional money from you. Walk away!
    Clearly he had no integrity. Walk away!

Standard practice is to get at least 3 quotes, then you are able to gauge a realistic cost because 2 of the 3 will generally be similar pricing. Sounds like you handled him well!

7. Charles Yallowitz
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 11:55:38

Guessing he gets commission or something. At least in my experience, many people who get a cut of their quotes push very hard to get an agreement with minimal discussion. Still, would have loved to see the look on the guy’s face here. Just sounds like he’d become a cartoon character with a jaw that breaks through the floor in shock.

8. LydiaA1614
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 11:41:28

We had some renos done last year and I totally understand where you are coming from. Salesmen these days seem to think that they are doing you a big favour by allowing you to spend your money on them. And with older people it seems to be worse. I am glad your in-laws had you there.

9. Le Fragi
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 11:26:05

Well done all of you. Word of a friend who’s had good work done st a reasonable price is better by far than a spiel from a spiv. G:)

10. Chris White
    Jun 04, 2016 @ 11:25:33

This all sounds very familiar. Right down to the hurt look.
    That is a great post title by the way. Have a good weekend.

Jun 04, 2016 @ 11:34:44

Thanks Chris! I thought of the title in bed last night lol!
      It was just so frustrating, and you can see how older folk can get pushed into a corner by sales guys, wanting to get their commission.
      The funniest thing was he kept on saying how he didn’t work on commission, and the quote was valid for 12 months!
      So, why the hurry??!!