My Love Of Reading…

Another little blast from the archive past! Excuse me while I dive into my kindle…!

Reading a recent reblog by my favourite ape, Chris, made me think… (Yes, really! I do tend to think sometimes😜!)

The original post, from the blog Kawanee’s Korner, can be found here.

It was a quote about why I love to read…

12122443_1191860680828070_8876318214586155432_n

It made me think of a few occasions when I wasn’t sure whether my love of books was normal…

From when I can recall, in my childhood, books were always an integral part of my upbringing. Whether it was stories that my mother read to us, or the books that I loved to read, to the piles of books by my mother’s bedside, and the shelves chock full of various titles, from fiction to non fiction, in the study.

I hated to be without a book. We would embark on many long car journeys, to and from the South, visiting various family members, and attending functions, and I would more or less always have a book with me, to read in the car.

It was devastating when I started to suffer headaches whilst reading on the move… all those wasted hours where I could be submerged in the latest story of choice! Trains were ok, so were planes, but car or bus journeys, a total no-no. My mum subscribed to some story magazines where you got the audio version on tape alongside a magazine with the stories. So at least I was able to listen to stories as we travelled.  But it wasn’t the same as reading whatever book I was consuming at the time.

Still, I carried on reading, whenever I could. From the favourite childhood authors, to the soft romances by Danielle Steele, as that was what my mum had at home. She also loves to read wartime family sagas, so I devoured them too.  As I hit my teens, I wanted something more meaty.  I am not a crime or thriller fan, and neither is my mother, so there was nothing like that for me to read, but the Flowers In The Attic series were sat on a high up shelf.

The series, by Virginia Andrews, got me hooked.  I read them all, and probably several times over.  Mum had other books by the author too, and so I slowly devoured them all, and as new ones were published, we would buy them, and I would read and read and read…

As I grew older, I still had a social life, but it wasn’t the be all and end all for me, not being in a pub or club on a Friday or Saturday, at 16, like it as for my classmates.  I was either with family, or happily tucked up with my favourite book. I didn’t know many others my age who loved to read like I did… perhaps I was the bookwormy geek that deserved to be the School Librarian!

Oh I loved that title!  I used to spend lunchtimes in the library, sorting out books, recommending titles for the younger girls in the school. The actual school librarian was a tiny, and I mean tiny, little Chinese lady, and I feel awful that I have forgotten her name! She was a little 4 foot book whirlwind, and she was the gentlest of souls, not like the stuffy librarians you see portrayed in films and programmes generally.

Anyway, I am letting myself get carried away with my memories!

Now, when you finish your exams, say your A-levels, that is something to celebrate! What do you do? Go out for a meal, drinks, that sort of thing, right?

Not for me! The year I was doing my A-Levels, there was a new book being released. A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth.

vikram sethIt was a huge tomb of a book, the longest book to be written in the English language, in one volume, at the time. It was nearly 1500 pages long! A very involved family saga based around an Indian family. I was desperate to read it! My mum bought the book, and held it like a carrot, dangling it in front of me, telling me that it would be my treat once my exams were over. I was so motivated! Seriously! Sad am I?

There are probably those who would actually think so, but for me it was such a great thing to work towards!  The exams finished, and I was given the book to read… and boy did I read!!

My Pops actually got a little worried. I was holed up in my room, in my bed for about a week, not wanting to go anywhere. He, being the concerned father, asked my mum if I was ill. “No dear, your daughter is just reading…”

And I was. I finished that 1500 pages over a week. I was determined to do this.  For me it was a like a week away, getting right into the story. My mum had said that she would wait for me to finish before she read it, she could take months to read a book compared to me and the lengthy sittings of reading that I could undertake, being a single, young girl, with no other responsibilities! (I’m pretty sure she still hasn’t read it! It’s only 22 years later!)

Can I just slip in here, as I read some facts about A Suitable Boy on Wikipedia, I found out there is a sequel coming next year! Called A Suitable Girl… I know what I will have on pre order!

Anyway, as I went to university, books, of the reading for pleasure variety, took a took a backseat, as I got involved with student life properly.  See, I wasn’t the geek that I had always thought I was!  But you know, they were never far away. It might have taken me a tad longer to finish a book, but I still read, intermittently.

And over the years, I’ve carried on reading, sometimes I finish books within a week, sometimes it takes longer, but there is always a book near by, be it a physical book, or my Kindle, or even the Kindle app on my phone, I know I can read almost anywhere.

As the original quote that inspired this post said, I love that feeling of getting swept away into this ‘other’ world, this whole parallel universe where the story I am reading, is taking place. I almost feel a sense of loss when a book I have particularly enjoyed finishes.

So, be it chick lit or biographies, historical romances or family sagas, I love to read them, I always shall, and I don’t care if I am a nerd for loving books!

1. Trackback: Reading Outside Of Your Preferred Genre | But I Smile Anyway...
  2. Trackback: Family Saga Friday – Nothing Gilded, Nothing Gained-Family Saga Fiction at Middlemay Farm
  3. bettylouise31
    Oct 30, 2016 @ 14:48:01

I have read all my life, usually have a book. I dfo reviews on my blog, but selected one showing plants another love. I places my reviews on Tuesdays. I now read mostly mysteries. Enjoyed your blog

4. pinkiebag
    Oct 30, 2016 @ 10:18:07

Hi, I love reading as well. It’s just finding the time, Chloe https://pinkiebag.com

5. joey
    Oct 29, 2016 @ 21:29:00

Nerd-on! I feel the same. A love for reading is life! 😀

6. Southern by Design
    Oct 27, 2016 @ 14:03:36

I also adore reading. Sadly I don’t make as much time as I use to. My daughter of 13 is a great reader. She has read through the Harry Potter series over 5 times!! I use to be like that- I must say I do often miss it.

7. Osyth
    Oct 27, 2016 @ 12:46:13

Of course nerdiness is now being embraced as cool which can only be a healthy and happy thing in my considered (and thoroughly book-wormy nerdness) opinion 😉

8. edwinasepisodes
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 13:16:27

You and me both Ritu. I also read all of the Virginia Andrews books, as well as some of Danielle Steele. I have read all of Jilly Coopers as well. In fact, I like to read all sorts of books as well, and have done since a small child. I am proud to be a nerd as well!!! 🙂

9. Prajakta
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 06:13:47

I get you!! I have been ill which has left me useless with books – they give me a headache. I feel uneasy. Good choice BTW, this book has been recommended to me quite a few times.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:08:07

I often think I would re read it, but I don’t think I’d ever finish it again! As a Mum and teacher, I’d never get a week to read non stop any more!!
      Hope you get your reading head on again,,I know how frustrating it is! 😊📖

10. wafflemethis
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 05:46:15

How can anyone not love books sis. Don’t care how nerdy we are☺☺

11. susieshy45
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 03:05:24

I am a book lover too and I think it is a parent child thing- if a parent is a book-lover, the children will be book-lovers too- I sincerely believe this. There is nothing as beautiful in this world as a well written book and the time to read it all in one sitting, with no disturbance. I hate it when someone disturbs me when I am reading. Books are hooks !

12. bbooksmartblog
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 00:56:02

I looooove reading!

13. Donna
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 23:52:40

Reading transports me to another world

Oct 27, 2015 @ 23:35:51

Reading is adventure in the head…. again and explanation why you are so inspiring and creative, Ritu. I love reading too in my teenage years. Later I just did not have the time anymore. Mostly when I start reading I end up writing… lol

15. Eric Klingenberg
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 23:31:01

I’m so with you on this I can’t imagine life with out books.

16. Josh Wrenn
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 23:29:28

Nothing wrong with being a nerd anyway. More people need to know it is cool to use your brain.