Mystery #writephoto

Sue’s weekly photo prompt

mystery

Do you feel like the adventure and fun almost seeps out of you as an adult? The older you get, the more cautious you become? Things you wouldn’t have thought twice about in the past now involve several layers of consideration before you even contemplate having a go…

That was my thought process while writing this week’s piece.

It was a strange opening.
Totally misplaced in this woodland, where everything was so rustic. Even the staircase we had descended to reach here was very primitive.
Yet this entrance looked new, very modern. The stone framing the doorway looked like almost new breezeblocks, but there was still an air of history, and mystery surrounding it.
I could have sworn that it hadn’t been there before. We used to play here so much as youngsters, surely we would have seen it?
As children, I am pretty sure we would have been the first to explore. But the opportunity never arose.
And now, 20 years later, here I stood, almost rooted to the ground with an innate sense of fear coursing through my blood.
I couldn’t go in there! What if something was lying in wait? What if we found something awful? A dead body? No, I couldn’t take the risk. Better not knowing, than unearthing something you wish you had never known!
I wasn’t that same person anymore, not that devil may care child who thought nothing of disappearing into dark holes and caves.
No, this was a mystery for some other person to explore. We made our way back up the stairs, but I couldn’t help but shoot a final glance back at that entrance…

writephoto

1. Trackback: Photo prompt round up – Mystery #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo
  2. Jennie
    Nov 29, 2016 @ 02:14:36

Great story, Ritu. Deep in thought and storyline. I loved where you went with this.

3. mbarkersimpson
    Nov 28, 2016 @ 13:13:07

Awesome. So reflective of the innocence we lose as adults. I want to be that child again, the one who would tug on my sister’s hand and beg her to join me on an adventure!

4. Trackback: Mystery- Ritu Bhathal #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo
  5. joey
    Nov 27, 2016 @ 19:18:13

That is a really unusual find! πŸ™‚

Nov 27, 2016 @ 15:56:16

I would be like you Sis, not daring to go in just in case! It is a shame that we lose some of our daredevil ways when we get older, but then as others have pointed out, the world is a different place now,

7. dornahainds
    Nov 26, 2016 @ 16:08:15

Ah, such a wise cautionary tale. πŸ˜‰

8. Hugh's Views and News
    Nov 26, 2016 @ 12:54:30

I’d have maybe peeped in, but not gone in. You captured that caution feeling very well, Ritu.

Nov 26, 2016 @ 07:55:14

True, the older we get the more we “think”.

10. TanGental
    Nov 26, 2016 @ 01:41:42

Yep I understand that natural calculation. Funny thing is before I was overwhelmed, not being able to assess risk and froze now I have a better sense and occassionallly jump right. You captured in beautifully.

11. swo8
    Nov 26, 2016 @ 00:59:12

It looks like it could be the entrance to a secret garden.
    Leslie

12. Sue Vincent
    Nov 26, 2016 @ 00:16:22

It was actually quite spooky in there…and teh rest of the place even weirder. There was a staircase though πŸ˜‰

Nov 26, 2016 @ 00:12:07