#SoCS Apr. 29/17 – Yard

Linda’s #SoCS prompt this week.

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “yard.” Use it any way you’d like. You can even add letters to it to make a whole new word! Have fun!

Yard – like my back yard? Well, I’ve never referred to it as a yard, I find that quite Americanised! It has always been my back garden

A yard, in my eyes is a place with no grass or flowers, an area with a dirt ground, almost a dumping ground!

Then I think of knackers yard – The place in a slaughterhouse where carcasses unfit for human consumption go to be disposed of. Sometimes we say “Oh so and so is only fit for the knackers yard” meaning he is not fit for purpose any more. (Bit extreme, I know, but it’s true!

Yards – the measurements still used when we go to buy fabric for Indian suits (unless there are a few modernised folk who talk about metres!) – and also the measurements for the markers to say how far the next junction is on the motor way.. you know, 300 yards… 200 yards… 100 yards..  – it was at the 100 yard sign that my accident happened too!

Yardies – defined as Black, Jamaican (Kingston) born gangstas found in rough parts of London. Associated with BMW’s, gold jewellery, and automatic guns. Responsible for a lot of murders and other crimes (mostly drug related) in the Urban Dictionary.

And finally Yardley, or South Yardley. Where I spent the lion’s share of my formative years, growing up, my home town, within Birmingham!

What a mish mash of a Stream of Consciousness post. But that was definitely my stream of thought as I wrote this!

Have a great Saturday Peeps!

socsbadge2016-17-1

1. dornahainds
    Apr 30, 2017 @ 17:13:36

Fabulous! 🌹😎

Apr 29, 2017 @ 17:32:10

HA! I love the knacker’s yard one Sis, I know I often use that one. I too think o a yard as being a concreted place with no flowers, as for measuremnts, well you knnow what my post was about.
    I just thought of another one, the whole 9 yards! 🙂

3. bikerchick57
    Apr 29, 2017 @ 14:59:44

You taught me a couple new terms – knacker’s yard and yardies, neither of which sound appealing. As I finished your post, I remembered the ads for Yardley soap, something that smells good and doesn’t go with slaughter and murder! 😀

Apr 29, 2017 @ 11:05:04

Lots of perspectives. It made me think of my own poor yard after yesterday’s heavy snowfall again.

Apr 29, 2017 @ 08:23:33

It is amazing how many different thoughts a single word can conjure up. Nice post, Ritu.

Apr 29, 2017 @ 07:41:31