#RiNoWriMo – The Finale! #canidothis ? #ididit !

Can you believe it? I completed a whole month of writing my WIP? (Along with blogging, and being wife and mother!)
#RiNoWriMo

It’s Bank Holiday on Monday… I appear to have promised to take the kids swimming one one day… and those damn uniforms refuse to label themselves…  Can I get this WIP nearer the finished end??

Day 28

I am seriously exhausted. I am not sure if I can write any more for a while… My brain feels like it’s turned to mush. And I need to get rested for back to school… will I be able to get myself to the computer?

Hell Yes!

An hour and did a few more words. Then took the army swimming!

Word Count: 1139

Day 29

I’m definitely in a writers funk. I finished a section that I absolutely loved writing last week. The words just flew! Now I know what I want to happen, but I can’t find that smooth path to sail across, to get the story finished. It was hard, but, despite still feeling tired, I managed another few words. I’m not pushing myself… I want this to flow…

Word Count: 1007

Day 30

Thought I wouldn’t be able to do this today. I had to get up early and drop the kids off to my in laws as I needed a blood test done first thing. Feeling tired after having to wake earlier than my body was used to, was a trying time.

But once I got home, and full of a renewed energy. I managed to write, and then looked at a weekly tarot post by my friend Traci York. The cards I am drawn to are surprisingly accurate for my situations at the time, and today was no different!

Knight of Pentacles
Keep your focus. You were so excited and full of energy when you took the first step on your new journey. Now you feel like you’ve lost your steam, and all you’re doing is trudging along, without getting any closer to your goal. Don’t give up hope! Stick to your plan, stay focused on the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and remember what Amelia Earhart said – “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.”

Thanks, Traci! I am staying focused! But taking it a little slower!!!!

Word Count: 1241

Day 31

The last official day of #RiMoWriMo.

I never thought I would make it to the end! I haven’t even eaten breakfast yet, you know!

When I say the end, I don’t mean of my first draft. No, The end of the month! The story is a little while away from finishing, but it is so close, I can smell it!

I’ve got a busy day ahead of me, those name tapes aren’t going to fix themselves, and then I have to get the boy to cricket training, and a well-deserved meal out with my ladies tonight meant I wanted to give my last writing day a good go before starting everything else.

So I wrote…

Word Count: 1156

PHEW!!!!! I’m done!!!!!!!!!

Taking everything into account this means I wrote 4,543 words this week, and the #RiNoWriMo word count stands at

55922 words in a month!

What have I learned in this last month?

• If you have determination and time, you can do what you set your mind to.
  • Writing can be really, really, really, REALLY exhausting!
  • Sometimes time away from a story helps you put a totally different spin on it.
  • Support from some special writing friends, a furry writing muse and family makes a HUGE difference.
  • You need lots and lots of sticky notes and pens and notebooks… (great excuse to go stationery shopping!)
  • You can write anywhere if you want to.
  • NEVER GIVE UP!

My work in progress now stands at a few words shy of 70,000. When did I ever think I could write so much????? This has taken me a step closer to my dream of having a novel out there.

I will let you know when the #firstdraftwoes end and I have a complete manuscript in my hands. No doubt then I will flood you with questions and worries about editing, and proofreading, and editing, and rereading, and covers, publishing and promotion… but that is still a while away.

Now I am off to dream about the day I can conclude my story… whilst ironing labels on uniforms!

Thank you for staying with me on my #RiNoWriMo journey Peeps! Your support has been invaluable. Seriously. Mwah!

1. Tikeetha T
    Sep 07, 2017 @ 14:18:21

Yay! You did it Ritu! Congratulations!

2. Daphne DuMariner.
    Sep 03, 2017 @ 00:39:17

Nanowrimo is tough. I burnt myself out last year and am scared to even think about it again for this year…….
    Well done.

3. Claire Saul (PainPalsBlog)
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 23:48:37

Inspiring! Well done you – look forward to being to review the whole novel!! I don’t envy you the school uniform labels though – thank goodness they invented those iron on ones, I used to hate those woven ones that had to be stitched in…enjoy the rest of the weekend x

4. MarinaSofia
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 20:43:30

Late congratulations, Ritu (I was away and mostly without WiFi). You went above and beyond the call of duty, which, considering it was holiday season and family events season, was amazing!

5. angelanoelauthor
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 19:10:12

Oh MY gosh! Congratulations! You did it. What an accomplishment. Sure, there’s still work to do, but setting a goal and getting to the end? Well, that’s just freakin awesome. Yea you!

6. Gary
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 16:24:48

Creamed it Ritu! Can’t say in words how proud of you I am #authorempathy. That’s easily over the actual NaNoWriMo target and all you need now is a CampRiNaWriMo to finish it. Those, in reality, are set your own goal word count so ideal for finishing projects already started….hmm take own advice and finish mine lol

Brilliant job 🙂

Shame about school next week though!

7. Ruth Daly
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 15:38:56

Well done! You must feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment! Looking forward to reading the rest of your journey into publishing.

8. carolineschroniclesblog
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 15:18:41

Well done! I’m so impressed with your determination. Lots of luck with finishing your story

9. Jpr Arv
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 14:44:30

I find it hard to participate in writing challenge! especially because of time crunch!

10. cookandenjoyrecipes
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 14:35:51

WOW Ritu – I admire you and it does take perseverance and dedication to do this. Awesome job and I am sure the manuscript will be WOW

Sep 02, 2017 @ 14:06:48

Very well done Sis, what an awesome achievement. You did even more than you thought you could and must feel elated!! 🙂

12. You Can Always Start Now
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 13:53:27

Congratulations. I think having a deadline i.e. month helps and putting it out there for accountability. Smiled when I read about the Tarot Cards from Traci as I do them weekly also and at times it is just what I need to hear for that push. Now onto September – fall is my favorite time of year. You rock.

13. Lisa Orchard
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 13:12:23

Congrats, Ritu! This is so awesome! I’m proud of you!

14. Kelsey
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 12:36:24

Congrats! It’s been fun and inspiring following along; thank you for sharing this journey!

15. Gloria
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 12:02:38

Fantastic Ritu!! Looking forward to the publishing now! But seriously……I’m beginning to think there are two of you! Or you’re just Superwoman!

Sep 02, 2017 @ 12:04:02

Lol! Thanks! The tiredness I’m feeling now shows I’m no superwoman… just doing too much!!! Still a bit to write yet but it’ll slowly happen!!!

16. fancypaperblog
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 11:42:40

On labelling- those iron ons fried my brain. I got an ink stamper since. A whole new world!!

17. Phil Taylor
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 11:23:28

Congratulations! That is incredible! I wish I had your discipline! I can’t wait for your book!

18. Denzil - Life Sentences
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 10:12:50

Great. Well done. Now you can finally get some sleep! 🙂

19. A Girl and Her Passport
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 09:37:56

Congrats! I need to do this!

20. theslippedink
    Sep 02, 2017 @ 09:18:50

I’m impressed – your dedication comes though. I love the fact that you can hear your frustrations with it and yourself shattered throughout and also feel your relief/exultation when you hit your goal. Its almost like you’re battling two aspects of yourself throughout. It’s no easy task what you set yourself to challenge. Have you concluded your story yet? Seriously well done.

Sep 02, 2017 @ 10:01:21

Thank you so much! The story is still not finished… but it’s getting there. I will conclude it slowly now! Then when I reread… I’ll probably cringe! But at least I’ll have finished my first ever first draft!

21. Annette Rochelle Aben
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 15:11:51

Good on you! I celebrate your success!!! ❤

Sep 01, 2017 @ 14:16:28

Congrats, Sis! This is a fantastic achievement and you proved to yourself how far you can get with determination and strictness! We truly need to set time aside for such a project or it won’t happen!! Again, well done!

23. April Munday
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 08:04:04

Well done.

Sep 01, 2017 @ 06:54:16

Well done, Ritu, you really got a lot done. First day of Spring in SA today and we are heading home later today.

25. neeltheauthor
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 06:19:16

Wonderful, bravo sis. You make us so proud and motivated.

26. pranabaxom
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 06:11:46

Congratulations.

I ate your breakfast☺

Sep 01, 2017 @ 05:40:02

Congratulations Sister on getting it done!!

28. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 04:27:55

Great! Congratulations, and best wishes for a nice weekend ahead. ,-)

29. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 04:24:40

30. dearanonymousfriend
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 03:25:10

congratulations! Well done!

31. Mr. Militant Negro
    Sep 01, 2017 @ 03:07:20

Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.