Blogiquette – 7 Simple Blogging Manners To Adhere By (Well, I think so, anyway!)

It’s very easy to become a little self-absorbed when you first start a blog.

• You want to write things that people like.
  • You want followers.
  • You want to be discovered.
  • You want loads of comments and shares, to prove popularity.

Sure, there are blogs that manage to achieve that kind of fame and notoriety… but it’s not easy.

We all have to start somewhere, and like most of you will have been taught from birth, good manners count for a lot. In life, we have that etiquette to follow. We know about out pleases and thank yous. Respecting others. showing compassion and humility.

It’s the same in the Blogosphere.

Except here you have Blogiquette to learn.

It’s not much different to what you do in real life, but obviously, it’s via the interweb, so you need a few tweaks!

You don’t want to be known as the pompous one who thinks they are better than everyone, so, here are the 7 Rules of Blogiquette I think are important to be a considerate, and polite blogger.

1. If someone has taken the time to comment on a post of yours, be sure to acknowledge, and reply back. There’s nothing worse than leaving a comment, and not even getting a smiley face back, if not a response! Equally, if you want comments, make the effort to read and comment on other bloggers posts. Building that rapport is essential.
  2. This one may be kinda hard at the beginning, but don’t think that following for follows is a good idea. Soon enough you’ll have a thousand blogs clogging up your reader, and possibly your email account, and there is no way you can really read even half that many blogs regularly! Then you are faced with the awful task of  (shock horror!) unfollowing because it got too much! (Been there done that, got the tee-shirt and wrote the post!). And just because you follow someone, there is no guarantee they will follow you back. They say that if you have even 10% of your followers liking your post, you’re doing great! I have nearly 5000 WP followers and yet my highest amount of likes has never hit more than 150 on a single post, and that is very rare… and nowhere near my 10%! Follow blogs you find interesting, inspiring, individual. You are more likely to build the rapport that your Blogily needs by following and interacting with blogs like these.
  3. Sometimes you read a post but don’t comment, because you don’t have anything to add to a discussion. At least ‘like’ the post so the blogger knows you read and appreciated the time and effort they put into the post. I have to do this often, as I simply cannot comment on all the posts I read. My ‘like’ is not an empty one, it is an acknowledgement!
  4. If you write a post after reading something that inspired you on another post, do the courtesy of crediting that blogger. Link back to their original post, and acknowledge that an idea sprouted from reading something they read. There is nothing more humbling for a blogger than reading a post that was inspired by something they wrote, but if they aren’t referred to, then they’ll never know they did that.
  5. If someone takes the time to reblog your post, or you find out they ‘pressed’ you, take the time to thank them for the share. It doesn’t take up too much time, in fact, WP will email you if you are reblogged, so there is no excuse for missing them. A simple message of thanks acknowledges the fact that they have appreciated your work enough to repost it!
  6. Once you get started with blogging, you may write a guest post on another blogger’s space. It is a big thing for a blogger to happily allow someone else to take control of their blog for a post. Write with respect, and make sure you follow the comments on that post so you can answer and thank people for reading you over on another blog! Reblog that post on yours by all means but try to shut the comments on your reblog, so the dialogue happens on your guest post!
  7. And finally, a biggie. Try not to link drop in comments! It’s probably one of the biggest bug-bears for a lot of bloggers I know. We all want to be able to showcase our posts, but by typing, “Hi! Nice Post! Here’s mine!” followed by a random link, is usually a surefire way to end up either in the spam bin, or getting your comment deleted! You find some bloggers run threads where you can leave links, that is fine. There are times when you read something that resonates, and maybe you wrote something yourself previously that would interest the blogger who wrote it. Comment on their post and maybe ask, if they’d like to read something you wrote that may be of interest to them. Alternatively, send it by their ‘Contact Me’ page, so it goes to their mailbox, rather than in the comments.

And there you have it!

These are the rules I try to live by. Things I have learned as I have established myself on the blogging circuit, and I don’t think I have offended anyone so far!

I’m sure others operate with different thoughts in mind. If you have anything to add, please let me know!

Have a wonderful Monday!

1. Janice Wald
    Oct 15, 2017 @ 17:14:40

Hi Ritu!
    I was so inspired by your post that I immediately went to respond to commenters after reading this. Thanks for the inspiration. I agree with your tips.
    Off to stumble!
    Janice

2. Pam Avoledo
    Oct 15, 2017 @ 16:31:36

Grr…link droppers. I get people that want to be read but just to leave your link there and not help anyone out in return is selfish. It’s also not fair to those who are reciporicating.

3. weejars
    Oct 15, 2017 @ 09:47:07

Fantastic tips…whew! I’m doing all these things 😊

4. rachaelstray
    Oct 15, 2017 @ 08:58:44

Really useful post, especially as I am new to blogging. Thank you XX

5. Daphne DuMariner.
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 23:18:53

Definitely number 7. Basically it’s saying “Nice post, but look at me!”

6. allison brown
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 21:24:37

These are such great reminders (and lessons for us newbies!). For instance, I hadn’t thought about disabling comments if you repost a blog that you originally published as a guest blogger. And, I didn’t realize how important the “likes” were! I truly learn something new every day!

7. Suzanne [globalhousesitterX2]
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 21:02:08

Ritu, yes I agree with your points, and I shall endeavour to adhere to all 🙂 Yes the link dropping in comments is annoying as they don’t seem to be sincere when commenting on a post. I like Suzie’s suggestion to remove the link and thank them 🙂

8. MindOverMeta
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 20:26:24

This is a great list, Ritu! I’m definitely guilty of some of those things when I started out blogging. I did the ‘follow for follow’ thing and then realised how false it was as I was following people who didn’t really interest me and there were no doubt others following me when they weren’t really into what I wrote about! I do still get people who link drop in their comments, which annoys me because it’s like free advertising on my space lol. But, I’ll always take a look and sometimes I’ve found some good posts that way 🙂

9. jazzytower
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 20:03:16

Good points to remember:)

10. Em Linthorpe
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 19:16:09

Hi Ritu – brilliant list!

I sometimes find an older post of mine that I missed replying to a comment or two and I feel terrible! The absolute truth is that they just got lost along the way somehow – perhaps I got the notification while asleep and I never looked back through my notifications , or it was caught in the spam filter forever, or I just simply received it, got distracted and never went back to it. Such shame!

It was never out of laziness or lack of respect, just pure disorganization on my part.
    Anyway, I’m currently being much better at replying in a timely manner and being much better organised in that area. Wooo!

I do see some blogs though that the blogger just doesn’t reply to any comments at all. I don’t tend to spend my time leaving one on those blogs.

And it always confuses me when you see a post that has obviously been entered into a linky because the comments all have a linky hashtag in them, yet the blogger doesnt reply to any of them? Like, you have entered something to get more engagement but you’re not engaging? Why why why?!

Anyway, this is turning into a bit of a novel now so I’ll shoot off – enjoyed this very much, you wise owl you! Xx

Oct 14, 2017 @ 21:39:03

Lol!!! Thanks Em! I enjoyed your ‘novel ‘!
      It really gets me when people don’t reply! And I know what you mean about the guilt associated with missing a comment! I’m the same!!!!

11. Parul Thakur
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 19:13:53

I agree and follow all those blogiquette (a tongue twister that word is ;))
    One thing that I do but only where it’s needed is link dropping. Like I remember I shared the post on my Nani when you wrote about yours 🙂 I appreciate if other bloggers drop a link as long as it’s related to the post. Btw – I also use commentluv if someone wants me to read their latest work 🙂
    Here I won’t 🙂 Good one, Ritu!

12. Ritu
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 18:53:32

This is a link drop that makes sense lol!

13. josypheen
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 17:58:58

Excellent and supportive post as always Ritu!

I do follow quite a lot of blogs now, but I have never followed someone just because they follow me. If I regularly interact with someone then I’ll keep going back to peek at their blog, but some blogs just aren’t my cup of tea…

The link droppers are so strange! I always wonder if they like it when people do th same thing to them!

14. Gary
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 16:10:35

Rules to blog by; agreed too; its impractical to follow everyone because the e-mail rate just rockets. In truth I create lists on my reader to hold key ones I follow. Hitting BUYB only has posts from people I follow there. Helps track things by category. I think most of my followers here are in the follow back zone too. Like you said, most people go through that until the epiphany hits and the blog gets “re-invented.”

The other points are just courtesy. I have to force myself not to visit everyday at the moment too as time is splayed all over. When I do comment I often end up writing a post lol

Great advice #GaTu

15. Lucy Mitchell
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 15:40:24

Wonderful tips Ritu.

16. You Can Always Start Now
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:58:31

Good advice. You are great at supporting and encouraging other bloggers so this advice coming from you makes it even more worthwhile.

17. thebeasley
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:46:07

Yes I agree with every single one of these The link-drop is particularly irksome! And I have given up on bloggers who just never responded to my comments. As you say if someone has taken time out of their day to read your work and then comment on it, the least you can do is say “thanks” back.

18. angelanoelauthor
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:28:17

I agree with every one of these and wish I’d read this a year ago when I started blogging! I would hate to be followed by someone who has no intention of ever reading another post, so I never follow someone for any other reason than I’m interested in what they have to say. Some blogs have truly surprised me–hidden gems of gorgeous content I think about long after my browser is shuttered and I’m cooking or running.
    I also think you’re absolutely right about always commenting back to acknowledge the time spent by a reader to add a thought. Sometimes even bloggers I love leave me hanging and though I come back again, it makes me less likely to spend the time to comment if I don’t feel my comment is “heard.” Though, sometimes it takes a few days for a writer to read through all their comments–that’s okay, as long as you do respond!
    Thanks for the post, Ritu! Sometimes the simplest things can be hard when we don’t know how to play by the rules!

Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:34:05

Thank you for appreciating my post Angela! It’s easy to slip into bad habits but if we all operate our blogs with some form of decorum the blogosphere will be a better place!

19. Rated by Hanna
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:04:16

Fantastic post Ritu! 😁

I would add too for the blogger recognition award that at least a thank you would be appreciated if someone nominates you. I did one recently for the Sunshine blogger and only about 3 of the 7 blogs I nominated and linked to even responded even though I had contacted them all. Meh I know it can get overwhelming if you get a lot of those and you don’t particularly want to make a separate post on your own blog that doesn’t fit with the flow of the rest of your posts.

Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:09:53

Too true Hanna! If I get a nomination and am made aware of it I thank and try and reblog their post at least!

• Rated by Hanna
        Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:24:52

Oh yes great point about turning off the commenting on the reblog post so that people are redirected to leave their engagement with the original post! Similar to other platforms it’s a little annoying when one of my friends on IG has an account and reposts one of my photos with my handle in there and hardly anyone ever clicks through!

Oct 14, 2017 @ 14:31:56

Oh yes that too!

20. masgautsen
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 13:53:34

Really good post Ritu. I do agree with you on these things. Sometimes I slip up on some of them, but they are good guidelines!

21. arv!
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 13:33:55

That’s a great post you have written Ritu. I think most bloggers who have been around for quite some years already follow these rules or standards. I generally stay away from extremely popular and (professional)l bloggers as they don’t have time for engagement and comments.

22. Candace
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 12:50:06

Only thing I’d add is if you leave a comment, make it meaningful. There is nothing worse than ‘nice post’ or ‘thanks for sharing’. I never approve comments like that

23. Lorna
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 12:35:46

You are one of the most genuine bloggers I know!

24. Kelsey @ There's Something About KM
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 12:11:02

Such a great list! 🙂 Especially #3. Sometimes I’ll go one step further and share it on social media if I don’t have an adequate comment.

25. Steffi Michael.
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:48:54

Nice one Ritu, well written and in a humorous way. I like it. 🙂

26. LaurenEph
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:27:28

Excellent blogetiquette rules! All very true. I’m definitely a bit guilty of number 2 not that I follow for follows abut that when I first started blogging I was excited and followed lots of people and now I can’t keep up!!! I find it hard enough to post on my own blog regularly let alone read others 🙈

Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:37:01

Lauren I did that too, then when I reached following 1000 blogs, I realised I couldn’t go on! Especially as even though I had many following me back, they weren’t actually reading mine, as I was unable to read theirs thoroughly too!!!

27. Ophira
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:18:38

Wow, I loved this post so much. I haven’t found such a post about blogger etiquette anywhere and I resonate with this one so much. I will share this with a new blogger friend of mine. She will find this useful, I figured some of these in the process of growing as a blogger it’s nice to have them in the beginning.

Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:35:49

Thank you Ophira! They are all things that with time we should all realise, but you are right, it is good to know early on, so you develop good practice and habits! I hope your friend finds it useful!

28. fancypaperblog
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:05:31

A great word that you have coined😊all very true too and said most humorously 😁

29. Gloria
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:01:10

I totally agree Ritu. I love commenting on posts but sometimes I used to get paranoid about my own comments. I think…”Oh crap! That was a silly thing to say”. But when the author acknowledged my comment, I felt okay. I’m not that sensitive anymore though because I understand how busy it can get!
    One other thing. I spent many weeks sharing, commenting, & liking a certain bloggers posts. Followed her on Twitter etc. Retweeted her stuff. But not once did she ever interact with me. Not on my blog, not on twitter, or the FB group we’re on. I had to let her go !😂😂 However, the majority of bloggers I know are wonderful and I love them!

Oct 14, 2017 @ 11:34:28

WE have to learn when to let certain bloggers go… you’re right!!! Once you feel you have established your identity on your blog, it’s great to relax, and treat it like a place you can relax and chat with your friends, and meet new ones!

30. Debbie Harris
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 10:24:39

I agree with all of these tips Ritu and thank you for publishing so that others may be more aware. It irks me that some people think blogging is all one-sided but it’s definitely not! I would never think of leaving a link in a comment but I know lots of people do 🙂

31. Midlife Smarts
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 10:23:50

This is fab! I am a new blogger and I have no idea of Blog etiquette. I am sure I have offended many times! And Twitter etiquette is a total mystery. Thanks. I also Liked and it’s a not an empty like 🙂 JIll x

32. Hugh's Views and News
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 16:18:19

Great tips, Ritu. #7 drives me mad, especially as it seems to be happening more often. I recently had somebody leave a comment on one of my photography challenges post that said: “I think you’ll all love my photography blog” and then a link to his blog. I had no idea who he was, and he’d certainly never liked or commented on one of my posts before. Anything like that, I feed straight to the Spam monster. He’s getting quite full now and seldom bothers me.

I’ve written about #1 many times. I ‘ve stopped leaving comments on blogs where I get no reply, and I’ve unfollowed many of them. If it were up to me, every blogger would be made to respond to comments as soon as they log into their blog. It’s common curtsey and there’s no excuse to not respond to comments.

33. gemmaorton
    Oct 11, 2017 @ 16:12:04

Brilliant!
    Thanks for writing what some of us think is obvious.

34. Jennie
    Oct 11, 2017 @ 03:40:57

Spot on, Ritu. Thanks!

35. asimpleview2017
    Oct 11, 2017 @ 02:16:53

Thank you much for taking even the time to help us all. Much appreciated. it is definitely a world of a variety of personalities so I can definitely see the need to have some sort of ettiquette. Kudos on this one!!!!!

36. jenanita01
    Oct 10, 2017 @ 09:41:19

Reblogged this on anita dawes and jaye marie.

37. The Opal Room
    Oct 10, 2017 @ 02:36:41

Thank you very much for the tips!