Spidey’s Serene Sunday – Part 60 – Back To School Editionn

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.” – Unknown

As we are nearing the dreaded back to school moment, I know student and teacher alike are wishing for another week, before the grindstone starts turning.

This is the term when assessments like the SAT’s and GCSE’s and A-Levels are going to be a big thing. Of course those students are going to stress.  There are huge hopes pinned on great results, and it is nerve wracking to even contemplate. I was a wreck at exam time. Testing and me did not go. But I did it.

And if you students think the teachers don’t get affected by your stresses and suffering, think again. For us, you are ‘our kids’ that year that we teach you.  You aren’t just part of a job, you become part of our lives. All we wish for is to give you the opportunities to do the best you can, to be the best you are, to reach the heights we believe you are capable of.

It can be heartbreaking to see the strain on children as young as 6, being made to sit tests, the results of which are then used to judge them. We hate doing it kids, honestly.

But, what you must remember is what Spidey’s quote says today. Try your best. If you give up before you even have a go, how will you know what could have been?

And that goes for everything in life.

We need to be willing to try.  Nothing falls into our lap (well not for the majority of us!) so we need to take opportunities where they present themselves, or make time to do what we really want. Who knows what you will accomplish?

Have a wonderful Sunday Peeps!

It’s my last day of relative peace before the summer term begins!

1. joey
    Apr 16, 2016 @ 18:14:58

I’ll do my best not to rant and rave, but I do get riled about this. They’ve decided it’s best to stop our standardized testing for a bit here in Indiana. They’re going to reevaluate the options. I am immensely relieved. Thank the Gods, maybe staff and students can exhale for a change!
    The way they pressure these kids! The way the teachers are held hostage with test scores! It’s infuriating!
    When I was a kid, we took Iowa tests. Long blocks of morning time were spent on these tests and I never felt pressured. Our teachers didn’t freak us out about it or make us feel like we weren’t prepared. So different. Everything about testing was handled differently and I wish my kids had that experience.
    Seriously, I could write 4000 words about this stuff.
    I hope y’all enjoy your break. 🙂

Apr 16, 2016 @ 18:23:16

It is totally frustrating and draining Joey! We, as teachers, feel we can’t allow kids to be kids from such a young age because of unrealistic government expectations….

2. Fourth Generation Farmgirl
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 13:23:15

Great post and wonderful advice! Have a good week, Ritu! 🙂

3. Elusive Trope
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 05:43:08

sometimes i believe cursed is the one who, without any effort, has something fall into their lap

4. The WheatandTares
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 01:54:52

What an inspiring post! It is so true on so many levels. Seven more weeks here, and I’m already looking forward to summer! 🙂

5. charlypriest
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 22:49:05

Good quote at the sort of end, it was 2/3 down, yes mam point being you said is in my words ” get up and lets go”, and love ya, take care ( wich I know you do) of those Little monsters you have running around, bunch of weirdos……

6. Lisa A.
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 17:32:59

This is some GREAT advice! My son was testing all last week. I just tell him to do his best. He’s special needs so they don’t (hmm, I’m not sure which word to use here) put as much pressure? Mmm Monday and going back to school :/ That drink you’re holding looks really good! 😀

Apr 10, 2016 @ 17:44:44

I hope he wasn’t too stressed about the tests Lisa. Lil Man has his at the beginning of May, BIG ones, and they are stressing out the pupils and teachers as the government has just changed everything!
      I think I need another week off! And a few more drinks!

7. Donna
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 17:31:31

Hope your day is relaxing Ritu

8. Rajiv
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 15:43:47

I like Spidey

9. Judy Martin
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 13:10:11

Enjoy your day today Sis. Spidey is spot-on with his advice as always. We have to at least try our best. 🙂

10. Barb Knowles
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 12:00:12

Testing periods are definitely stressful for teachers. I think it’s inhuman to have students, especially the little ones, sit for tests that take hours. Here in New York State, a lot of parents are “opting out” of having their students, of all ages, take these test. I’m not counting tests like the SATs which are important for college applications. On Tuesday we begin 3 days of just the speaking part of the NYSESLAT exam. The New York State English as a Second Language exam which theoretically an exam to determine the level of English mastered by each ESL student in New York State. But it is a useless exam that tests content knowledge in science and history under the guise of language acquisition.
    You are so right….stressful for all concerned.

11. Cezane
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 08:39:00

This is beautiful! We must not just sit by idly and hope to have good days in life. Every little thing you wish to accomplish starts with a try. I love the first line to this post. Wonderful!

Apr 10, 2016 @ 08:14:46

True, sis! We cannot sit and wait for results. We need to do something for it and give our best. We never know if and how things work out. But when we gave our best then we have nothing to regret.
    Happy Sunday, sis. Enjoy! 😊💖

13. Le Fragi
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 08:07:28

Alas my schooling was flawed
    It had me in it
    And I learned haiku all wrong.