Spidey’s Serene Sunday – Part 85

img_0041

“I never get tired of smiling. I’m just the kind of guy who likes to smile.” – Jason Ritter

I can really relate to this one, but I am, instead, the kind of ‘girl’ who likes to smile!

I am shattered today, had a busy day yesterday, and we slept at 2am, and kids, as they are, woke me at 7am… so Ritu on 5 hours sleep is not particularly attentive, but I can still raise a smile!

Yesterday, as I was doing the grocery shopping, I danced the aisle dance with an elderly gentleman, you know the one where you meet at the same point on each aisle, as you are walking in opposite directions, but going the same way?

Every time we passed, we smiled. And it developed into a short comment exchange with a giggle.

Ultimately we stopped to have a proper chat. (Thank goodness the kids weren’t with me, they would have been pulling at my sleeve to walk away!) The first thing he said to me was “How lovely to see someone with a smile for a stranger, and a sense of humour too!”

He went on to comment that it’s so rare to see people sparing a smile for others they don’t know, or to have a little laugh at a situation they find themselves in.

He was in his 70’s and in the 5 minutes I spoke with him, I found out that he had gone to the school I taught at in the 40’s, that he had a son and a daughter, and 4 grandchildren he was very proud of, and that they played sports like my kids. We discussed the benefits of hands-on parenting vs. electronic parenting too….

This little exchange only occurred because of a stray smile…

I love these little random conversations that I end up having at odd times!

So, go on Peeps, smile at a stranger today (not in a creepy way, though!), you might make someone’s day!

1. eloquentparadise
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 19:24:16

A smile can change someone’s whole day. Amazing!

Oct 02, 2016 @ 17:21:10

Smiling now Sister!! I try to acknowledge people with a smile regardless if they smile back or have the blank face 😊

3. Charles Yallowitz
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 13:40:39

Very cool meeting. I agree with him that you don’t see many strangers smiling or greeting each other. Everyone is either in a rush or locked into their phone.

4. Tony Burgess
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 12:19:43

It’s moments like that when you realize it’s good to be alive.

5. Chris White
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 10:26:07

That is lovely, Ritu (and Spidey).
    You’re never fully dressed without a smile. 😃🎶

Oct 02, 2016 @ 10:03:36

Those are those encounters who make us see that we are all one family. We feel connected in the way we encounter and in the way we do connect. A smile is the most wonderful way to do so and to reach deeper. I see your smile whenever I see a sign of Ritu.That is for sure one of the reasons why everybody loves you, Sis 💖

7. Southern by Design
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 08:58:05

Yes, I too enjoy to smile and it has led to conversations with strangers. It’s amazing what a smile can do 😄 Not a creepy one though, lol! Great post.

8. Idle Muser
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 08:57:45

Awesome. 🙂
    A smile a day keeps one healthy anyway. :p
    Luckily you came through an elderly gentleman. 😉
    Otherwise there are a lot chances to hit a wrong shot, and BAMMM a healthy conversation could have turned the other way round. 😀