Thursday photo prompt – Low Tide #writephoto

Sue’s photo prompt for #writephoto this week.

low-tide

Not a creative piece as such this time, more of a reminiscence.

When we were younger, we spent many a summer in Kenya, visiting family. Mombasa was a place we would frequent on occasion. Imagine it, a huge band of Indians, all parked on the beach, women attempting to feed the masses, kids enjoying the water and men nursing several beers!
The tide would go out for a certain time, allowing us to walk out into the sea quite a distance.
Please forgive me, I cannot offer your accurate fact, this is the memory of a 41-year-old from when she was nine!
My Pops wanted to walk out as far as he could so a few of us decided to all go together.
There was me, so brave, venturing out into the open sea. It was fine for the first minute, then I kept feeling strange things under my feet!
I saw sea cucumbers and strange creatures. The seabed was obviously uneven, and as my feet stumbled through the dips and raises, my mind worked overtime.
I managed to convince myself that at the bottom of one of these dips, was a shark’s mouth, and if I put my foot down, it would be bitten off!
That was it, I shouted to Pops that I was going back, turned and ran, arms flailing like a little lunatic, back to the safety of the sand!
They all came back around 45 minutes later, walking almost a kilometre (I think!) into the sea, turning before the tide rose again!
Oh, what a wuss I was! Couldn’t even enjoy the low-tide without my imagination running wild!!!

writephoto

1. Trackback: Photo prompt round-up – Low tide #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo
  2. Eliza Waters
    Feb 05, 2017 @ 01:37:15

Ha, the active minds of children!

3. neelwritesblog
    Feb 04, 2017 @ 16:34:10

What a wonderfully written piece of childhood nostalgia is this, sis.

Feb 04, 2017 @ 15:52:50

Oh shame, Ritu. You poor little thing. I used to think there was a shark in the swimming pool that came out at night so I wouldn’t even put a toe in the water after nightfall.

5. Jennie
    Feb 04, 2017 @ 15:23:27

Nice!

Feb 04, 2017 @ 13:56:23

Wat a lovely story Sis. Your imagination served you well in the end though, look at the wonderful writing you have created 🙂

7. Trackback: Low Tide by Ritu Bhathal #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 15:09:14

Well what can I say, lovely memories, and look how useful that imagination of yours is now!! ❤

9. Michael
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 03:52:42

I wouldn’t say you were a wuss, more cautious of your surroundings….great you could share this memory with us Ritu..

10. Fourth Generation Farmgirl
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 23:13:46

Great story!

11. noorainsobiya
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 21:53:40

This is such an amazing prompt!! Loved the story 😂 cute you!!

Feb 02, 2017 @ 21:48:32

Awh, that was the fear of a nine-year-old. You are definitely forgiven, Sis!

13. Sue Vincent
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 21:27:27

The child’s imagination can create so many fabulous things… not all of them comfortable! A lovely memory, Ritu 🙂

14. Tanya
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 21:13:41

It’s such a wonderful quality to possess a wild imagination from an young age. I loved reading this little story. It’s so cute. Loved it. 😍❤️