#SoCS Aug. 19/17 – Pant

Linda’s back with her #SoCS prompt AND a shiny new badge too!

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “pant.” Use one the word “pant” as is, or find a word with “pant” in it and base your post on it. Have fun!

Pants.

They are very confusing, aren’t they?

Well the understanding of the word on either side of the Atlantic varies slightly, and with that could come several uncomfortable situations!

You see, over here in good old Blighty, pants are the short term for underpants. Yes, that’s right, Underwear.  Knickers, Y-fronts, thongs – PANTS.

Yet over in the US of Aaye, you loosely use the word to describe what we call trousers!

So if, in one of these tags, someone asks “What colour pants are you wearing?” you have to wonder at the nationality of the person who wrote the question. Are they truly interested in the style and design of your trousers, or is there a perverse desire to collect data on what type and colour smalls you are wearing?!

What if someone asks you to take your pants off… ? Which ones!?!

Pants – American folk over there – they are not trousers, they are undies!

1503074263414286334322

And don’t you just love the new badge? 😀

1. Jennie
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 15:57:26

This is terrific, Ritu. Love it!

Aug 19, 2017 @ 22:49:43

I’ll just stick with keeping them on wherever I am…lol

3. pranabaxom
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 21:29:15

After my brisk exercise, I was panting to wear my pants to go grab some lunch while reading your post on pants and thank god that I am in US of Aaye☺

4. John Holton
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 19:03:29

And in Scotland they’re trews!

5. Laura
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 16:57:18

Love it! You learn something new every day…

6. Student Entreprenuer
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 15:52:51

My Australian boss once told me I wasn’t allowed to wear thongs to the office… it took me weeks to figure out why she cared so much!

7. J-Dub
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 15:25:35

The company I work for has an office in London. One time when my manager was there for training, she was getting ready to go out to an after hours business function. When asked what she planned to wear to the gala and she responded “I think I will keep it simple and wear my black pants”. The room got real quiet and she got the strangest looks ever. One of the locals took her aside and told her that pants meant underwear. For the briefest moment, they thought she was keeping it simple by wearing only black panties to the party. Lol!

8. RuthBH2Day
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 14:36:11

same applies in South Africa, so now I’m back in the UK, I have to keep correcting myself

9. bikerchick57
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 14:34:32

Soooo…now I am worried about inadvertently using the word pants in the wrong context with my European and Australian friends. It could be embarassing! Or funny, depending on which side of the pond you’re from.

Aug 19, 2017 @ 13:12:57

Lol😂

11. Mr. Militant Negro
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 13:03:13

Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.

12. Bernadette
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 12:51:56

Don’t you wonder how these differences in the same language come about? I’ll bet that would make a good story. Thanks for the Saturday morning laugh.

13. Dan Antion
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:35:41

I discovered this difference, and the fact that I had a few followers in England, when I wrote about pants.

Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:33:52

So funny and true! I am so much more used to the American English that I have to be so careful when in the UK at times… lol! But this issue also reminds me of differences between Italian and Spanish. For example the word “burro”: in Italian, it means “butter” but in Spanish, it says “donkey”… lol!

15. OIKOS™-Redaktion
    Aug 19, 2017 @ 09:47:12

Great! Oh yes, we have to know the differences. 😉 But dont try to teach our friends inside the states about their language. LOL